Chapter 7

Lovely was breathing hard, the bloody screwdriver still clutched in her fist. Slowly she opened her hand and it thunked to the floor. Lovely took two staggering steps back unable to fathom what she had done. She finally turned and ran.

Her wings unfolded at she went. Lovely yanked open the front door and ran out into the street. She was vaguely aware of the rain falling around her. And suddenly Lovely was running and lifting off the ground; she had never flown like this before.

Lovely flew over the suburbs of Philadelphia; there were lights all around her and reflected off her rain streaked wings. She rubbed at her eyes and one of the contact lenses popped out. Lovely looked down at the thing in her hand. She threw it to the side and sped up until she could no longer the merry lights of the homes.

After flying for what seemed forever she let down in a small neighborhood surrounded by a wood. As soon as her feet touched the ground Lovely ran. She ran until she tripped over a piece of scrap metal. Lovely looked around and sighed: she had run to Philadelphia’s largest metal recycling plant. All of the silver must have drawn her here; the one thing Lovely knew about herself was that silver was her metal. She loved it because it was lovely- like her.

Lovely leaned against the fence and closed her eyes, breathing in the scent of the raw metals. She jerked her head up sure she had heard something; her instincts told her to run. Lovely’s eyes scanned the scrap yard, but nothing jumped out at her.

Someone grabbed Lovely and spun her round. As she came to face the person she brought her fist around slamming him in the jaw.

“What the hell!” she screamed, tucking in her wings.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” he said, scrambling to his feet. He surveyed her from what he judged was a safe distance, “I though you were here for the meeting- you sure look it.”

“I- what?”

“The meeting. Raven’s meeting.”

“I don’t know what your talking about. If this is some school thing, then I must inform you that I do not go to your school.”

“It’s… more than that.”

“So?” prompted Lovely.

“It’s just that Zane mistook you for one of our little group.” said a voice from atop the fence.

A man with black-feathered wings stood on the fence, looking down his nose at Lovely. Less of a man, thought Lovely, more of a well muscled and fine featured eighteen year old.

“And this group is?”

“Refuge for those who need it. Those of our kind that need it. With us you would not need to hide your true self.”

“ By our kind do you mean…” Lovely unfolded her wings and looked up at him.

“Yes.”

“Raven, is our, um, ride here yet?”

“Been and gone Zane.”

“What?” he gasped out. “That was my ride! How could you!”

“Easy: I just said that only Emilia was  going.”

Zane said nothing, he slumped back against a large tree. “So Raven, is it, would you be up to breaking into the Philadelphia Institute?”

He smiled coldly. “That depends on your motives.”

“Well-“ stated Lovely until something shot past her and at Raven.

He calmly raised a hand and the something stopped. “I wanted to go! Emilia can’t go on her own!”

“Dearest Zane,” said Raven, “She’d be better off without you. Emilia was always the better one at everything.”

“NO!” he shouted struggling against Raven.

“Poor Zane!”

Raven threw- yes threw- Zane into the tree’s trunk. Lovely heard a crack and Zane fell to the earth. He didn’t get up.

“What was that for!” screamed Lovely. She rose up into the air so she was on level with Raven.

He shrugged and said, “Zane was trying to kill me, so I killed him. Seemed fair.”

“I left to escape the death and torment, but it turns out that I ran right into it! Why couldn’t you just let him be? He was obviously distressed over this Emilia leaving thing! Anyway,” said Lovely in a quieter voice, “ How did you do it?”

“Telekinesis.” he said smirking. All through lovely’s tirade he had remained silent and straight faced- that just made Lovely want to hurt him even more.

At Lovely’s blank expression he sighed, “Mind power; I’m sorry I’m not really good at explaining things. Everyone of our kind has a special ability and telekinesis is mine. Apparently there are many things you don’t know about our species.”

“I hardly would have learned it from anyone. I’ve been in the Institute for over fifteen years; Morpheus never told me anything.”

At the mention of Morpheus, Raven flinched, but quickly returned his face to it’s normal impassivity. “Your acquainted with Morpheus- it must not have been pleasant.”

Lovely nodded, “So about breaking into the Institute?”

“As I said it depends on your motives. Plus, it’s not really my decision; we have a democratic system with in our group.” Raven motioned for her to follow him over the fence.

They flew to the center where a furnace lay dormant. It was surrounded by a mass of people: people that looked like Lovely. She was at once filled with delight and dread, she didn’t know how to behave around others like her.

“Hey! Guys!” shouted Raven. A hush immediately fell over the assembled crowd and they all looked expectantly at Raven. “We have a new member. This is-“ he looked to Lovely.

“I am Lovely.”

“This is Lovely and she has a plan to get into the Institute.”

Lovely shook her head franticly in Raven’s direction. Suddenly she froze- she heard the familiar beeping of the shocking implants. Before she fainted she yelled one word hoping Raven would understand.

“Morpheus!” she yelled. 

************

So the picture on the side is how I picture Raven... Kind of anyways. Thanks for reading!!!