Chapter 6

"Mercy!" shouted Michele. She dropped the keys on the counter and pulled off her black combat boots.

"Hey Mom," said Mercy wandering into the laundry room, " I'm going out tonight."

" Fine, just be home by one."

" Yrup."

Mercy grabbed the keys and ran out to the car. Michele sighed; ever since Mercy had been born she'd had a burning spirit- something she'd gotten from her father.

Michele walked into her office and plopped down into the chair. She couldn't get the face of Ash out of her mind, he looked so much like his father, she wondered weather the Dispatch looked like her father too. Turning to the computer she pulled up a picture of the Dispatch before she'd become a Dispatch. The girl was sitting in her glass box with wires snaking from her arms and legs and electrodes attached to her forehead and chest. She was looking straight at the camera.

CRASH! Michele jumped and looked around, convinced that he had found her. That he had finally come to claim his unwanted daughter and her mother. Michele stood and told herself that it was nothing, that nothing was going to happen to Mercy.

" Hello?" she asked the dark hallway outside of her office. There was no reply, but Michele hadn't expected one.

She walked out slowly, lifting the lamp she'd grabbed above her head. Michele flicked on the lights and screamed.

 "Michele, it's been a long time hasn't it. Almost 15 years; how are our children doing?"

All Michele could do was stand and stare at the man she'd thought was dead- killed by Morpheus. "Erin." His name escaped her mouth which she immediately clamped shut again. There had been a reason for his supposed death.

He lay in the pile of broken glass that had once been a window. He was bleeding, but otherwise seemed unhurt. Michele looked him over. " I see you haven't changed."

" And I see that you have. I heard that you got a job at the Institute, am I right? And that you've managed to keep Mercy-Grace a secret."

Michele nodded. Now that she was with Erin, she remembered why she'd turned him in. " You bastard." she said, stopping him before he could say anything else. "You lying, despicable bastard." she shouted the last words at him.

Contrary to the reaction Michele had been expecting Erin sat in the glass and let the words flow over him, until Michele was done. Then he spoke, "Michele, you have to help me."

"Why?"

"Because I know you still love me," he paused to see if this was enough then added, " Because you can get me into the Institute."

"No. I'm with Morpheus now."

"Oh really? What would he do if he found out about Mercy-Grace?"

"He'd take her." Michele said softly.

" And?" Prompted Erin.

"Kill me because I didn't tell him. Morpheus would make it look like an accident- he's good at it too."

"Well let me tell you the whole story: I need your help to get into the Institute because Morpheus has found out about Mercy-Grace and is coming to get you too."

" What do you mean get me too?"

"He already has Mercy. He needs you to divulge her extraterrestrial secrets and then he'll kill you. I can't imagine he'd do it fast."

"But why do you need my help? Couldn't you just get init the Institute on your own- you know, fly or something?"

"I need your specific help, Michele, because I wish to save you and our daughter from Morpheus. And I need your help getting into the Institute because I can't get in on my own."

As Erin said this he turned around and Michele gasped as she saw the jagged V shaped scars that marked the place his wings had once occupied. "Erin, what… how?"

"Morpheus said that he'd be killing two birds with one stone: preventing my escape and providing himself with something to do while I bled to death." After a few seconds pause Erin added, " Well those aren't exactly his words, but that was what he meant."

All Michele was able to do was stare at his pale skinned back and the scares that marred its perfection. "When did this happen? I was unaware of this; all official business regarding the experiments is supposed-"

"See there's where your wrong Michele. NOTHING is broadcast as it's supposed to be. And while we're on this topic let me remind you that this is all YOUR fault; I blame YOU."

Michele flinched away from him. Trying to force her mouth to form words- the words she'd practiced for ages in front of the mirror. Needless to say they never came.

Erin pushed himself off the ground and began pacing the hallway. His normally impassive face was twisted into a scowl as he made his endless rounds. Finally he stopped with his back turned towards Michele.

"I suggest that you get all the things most dear to you together. I highly doubt you will be coming back to this house."

Michele nodded then raced up stairs and gathered together everything she would need. She was about to run back to Erin when she looked into Mercy's room.

The walls were painted a dark purple and plastered over with Mercy's photos and drawings. That was one thing Mercy was good at- art of any kind. Michele quickly added to her bundle and ran downstairs to get Erin.

Michele found him staring at the picture of Dispatch 238 on the screen of her computer. Michele stopped on the threshold of the door and watched as tears filled his eyes and splashed onto the keyboard. She cleared her throat and he spun round, wiping the tears from his face as he went.

" Michele!" he said a little too brightly, "Are you ready?"

She looked from him to the bag in her arms. " What do you think?"

He cleared his throat. " I see that you infant are ready. Let's go then."

He held open the remains of her front door and she stepped through it all the while trying to remain dignified. He lead her to a silver Ferrari and she slid into the front seat as he slid into the seat opposite her.

"So do you mind telling me where you got this?"

"I borrowed it from a very kind car dealer… who is by now half way to Atlanta."

Michele decided that she did not want to now the answer to the many questions floating through her head. "Alright." she said, "Lets go."

"And where is it you think your going?" said a voice from the back seat.

Michele and Erin whirled around. There were two men sitting in the back seat with guns aimed at Erin. Apparently they thought that Michele could be easily overcome.

"I suggest," said one of the men, "That you two get out of the car with your hands behind your head or you run the risk of being shot half a dozen times."

Michele turned back and saw, to her growing horror, that more than a dozen armed guards surrounded the car. Erin looked at her and nodded. They would half to do what they were told.

Slowly Michele and Erin raised their hands and stepped out of the Ferrari's door. The guards got out behind them.

"Shoot!" yelled someone and instantly the guards complied and fired at them. Erin fell first because, of course, everyone aimed at him and then Michele. She crumpled to the ground and the last thing she remembered was the voice of Morpheus saying how sorry he was.

_________________________

I decided to combine parts 1 and two of chapter six so it would be (A) longer and (B) more fun to read. I possted it as part one originally because i would have otherwise been unable to update until now. Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!!!!