Chapter 10

Paxton

Three whole months.  It's been three fucking months since the last time I saw Chris. Since the last time I kissed him in his truck. I knew it would take some time to get things sorted out with Anna, but no texts, no calls, nothing. Static. Silence.

I threw myself into school. I'm always studying, but Chris invades my every thought. I dream about him at night. I think about him every second of the day. I'm quite certain I'm going absolutely crazy. Maybe he is going to work things out with Anna. Maybe he just didn't really like me as much as he let on. I'm so stupid. Letting myself fall way too quickly was not smart.

It was December now. The weather was more chilled, but going to school in a warmer state didn't make it freezing. I wore skinny jeans, a dark yellow sweater, my cream puffer, and brown riding boots. Stuffing my hands into my vest, I made my way to the nice cafe off campus to meet my group for a small project for school. Usually I would drive, because it's quite the trek, but nothing cleared my head quite like this beautiful weather.

Walking up to the store front, my phone went off. I checked my messages and saw that two of my group members texted saying that they can't make it. One of them was sick and throwing up, while the other one got called in to work. Letting out a huff, I walked in and saw the last group member remaining, Conrad.

"I guess it's just me and him," I muttered quietly.

I approached the table and smiled warmly at Conrad, who smiled back. He was good looking, really smart, and even played football, but I couldn't even enjoy him being in my group because I was so hung up on Chris.

"Hey, you!" he said kindly. "Where's everyone else?"

"They can't make it, so I guess it's just you and me. We can e-mail them with what we accomplished, and decide what they need to get done, too." I replied.

"Cool. Want anything to drink? I'm going up," Conrad offered.

"Oh yeah, sure! I'll get a peppermint hot chocolate and a cream cheese bagel! I'm starved."

"A girl with an appetite. How refreshing," he smiled, and blushed.

I watched him head up to the counter and shook my self out of my haze. Pulling my books and computer out of my backpack, I started getting to work. It was a pretty simple project and shouldn't take to long, but we did need to delegate roles. Conrad set my drink and bagel down in front of me.

"Thanks! What's the damage?" I asked, rummaging for my wallet.

"It's on me, no worries," he replied with a smile.

"Wow, thank you. You didn't have to do that!"

"No trouble at all," he replied with a wink, making me blush yet again.

We threw ourselves into work, and I was surprised to find I was enjoying myself for the first time in a while. We laughed and I found that Conrad was a funny guy, telling very corny jokes, but it was still great. I was interrupted by a text alert.

"I'm sorry, I thought I had it on silent," I said to Conrad.

"No worries, I'm gonna go to the restroom while you answer it," he replied, getting up from our corner table. I watched as he walked towards the restroom and then looked at my phone. My breath caught as I saw the name on my screen: Chris Pratt. What the hell did he want?

I shakily opened his message and read it:

Who is he?

What the hell? I replied quickly: