The choice

"What kind of a choice?" I could see Leslie was taking this seriously. Good he needed to if I was to ever trust him again.

"Are you still against them?" I spoke low, so no one listening in would hear. He took a breath. I could see that he was thinking before he replied

"Rawr, I am ALWAYS against them. I never changed." His steady blue eyes boar into my own telling me I was a fool again.

"Then come. Let us go for a walk" I quickly went and dressed. I threw a knife, and a gun in the bottom part of my bag, no one searching my bag would find it. On top of that I placed my ID, apartment keys, and pepper spray.

I came back out to see he had changed into a jacket. "Are you packing?" He opened his jacket and showed me where the liner had been re-stitched to hide weapons.

"No. I think I'll stay a few days if you don't mind" with that he winked at me and offered his arm. I laughed taking it. I was wearing light colours now, a pair of blue jeans that sat at my hips, tight in the thighs, but loose at the bottom, they were out of style, but I could wear my knifes beneath them, without attracting attention. For a shirt I wore a red tank-top, the thin line of my black bra showing. I knew that in this outfit it would look like Leslie and I were just going out for a date. Which we were definitely not, just because we had been kissing in my bed did not mean I had feelings for him.

"Oh, I don't mind" I smiled up at him and opened the door. "This way" I said with a laugh and flourish of my hand. He went out the door first and waited for me. We walked in quiet for a long time until we reached a park with flowing water. It was a hot night and I knew he wished he'd not worn his jacket, though we both understood the need.

"What's up Rawr? I haven't seen you this upset in years..." I took a breath looking at him. Deciding that maybe I did still have feelings for him I told him the truth.

"I joined the resistance." He looked at me confused.

"So? We were in the resistance back home."

"No. This is the real deal. I've shot men standing not even two feet ahead of me. I've blown up buildings. I've worked at a..." I stopped and started to cry

"Arura" He moved and took me in his arms "Tell me. Get it out confess whatever just do it"

"I worked in one of their camps. I had to watch as my people are killed! I had to watch as other Gingers were killed!" I hit him with every word, my fist smashing into his shoulder.

"Oh Arura!" He held me closer, showing my revelation hadn't disgusted him.

"It was so awful Nielsen! I wanted to throw myself in front of a gun! Just imagine if I hadn't just had a bath I would be dead by now! I would be in one of those camps! My Mama and brother are dead just like that Leslie, I can't I just" I started to cry harder

"Rawr, you told me I had to make a choice, tell me what my choices are? What is happening?" I took a breath and sat on the ground gazing at the water.

"Nielsen, I know with what I've just told you, you would think I got out. I didn't. I'm still active. In fact..." My voice trailed off as I decided how much to tell him.

"Rawr?"

"I got called up tonight. A big operation, one of the most dangerous I've been put on. They asked me if I could trust you..." I looked at him searching for the answer in his eyes

"Did you tell them yes?" He asked I couldn't detect emotion in his voice.

"I told them I'd ask you...." I paused waiting to hear his answer. When he hadn't responded after a few minutes I turned and looked at him. "You don't have to. It's dangerous. I understand." He looked angrily towards me.

"Of course I'm in! Like you said, those are awful people, what they're doing is wrong. Someone needs to protect Gingers." He declared loudly, in a soft whisper he continued, "Someone needs to protect you..." I could hear tears in his voice as he finished.

"Les.... I don't want you to get hurt!" I cried.

"Arura, I am doing this because it's what's right. Let's go back. You need to sleep; tomorrow will be a stressful day." Slowly we started back towards my home. For the first time in a very long time I felt hope. Funny how strange it felt, yet it felt good at the same time....