A Friend from the Past

I was still standing in the bathroom, crying and telling myself that I was not evil when someone knocked on the door of my apartment. I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around myself the soft and warn blue fabric making my skin look redder. I walked to the door and waited. One knock, a long pause, then two quick knocks, then finally one more knock.

"Soul" I said loud and clearly.

"Less" The reply was not as loud and clear, but I could still hear it enough to know that either someone had given us away, or it was a member of the old resistance, the group I had been a part of for most of my young life, up until I had met the pig. I took a breath and grabbed the knife I had hidden behind my door in case of danger. Funny how no one questioned its positioning. Showed the times we lived in I guess. I opened the door and pressed it to his throat.

            "Rawr... It's me."

"I know who you are Leslie." I said darkly to the man I once knew better than anybody except perhaps Talon, the neighbour who raised me.

"Can you remove the knife then please?" I looked around before pulling him into the apartment. Checking to make sure no one was with him and also to be sure no one saw he had come in. Seeing it was two in the morning on a Wednesday I highly doubted it.

"What do you want? You haven't called, written, or visited, anything in five years." I looked him over. Six feet, broad shoulders, dark brown hair, blue eyes, pale skin. Unlike me he had his natural brown hair. Handsome and lovely: even more so than I remembered him being.

"Oh yeah, while you’re with that fuck head I’m going to support you? Not likely. Rawr, come on girl, you know... Wait. Where is Mr. Fuck head?" He looked around. The apartment had been cleared of all of his stuff. I couldn’t deal with the betrayal of our love any further after he died.

"Don't worry about it." I wanted to tell him about what had happened I wanted to pour out everything to him. Just like when we were little. I just couldn't though, much as I wanted to. It was a safety thing, but also a childish thing. He had hurt me so I wanted to punish him.

“Come on Rawr, you can tell me. We're best friends, member?” I looked at him. Sure we had been best friends. He had even told me he was going to marry me once when we were ten.

"And then you left. It's been five years. What do you want?" I was angry. He had left. Not me, I was alone. Nobody understood me like Leslie did.

"I just wanted to see you Rawr, I miss you" he begged me with his eyes to believe him and let him back into my heart. I knew I couldn’t.

"Bullshit. No one goes away for that long, without a word, and then just comes back to see them because they miss them. It's not how it works." How my heart bled to hear those words and know they couldn’t possibly be true.

"You're such a pessimist" I glared at him. When he said that he knew why I was that way.

"Sorry Leslie, I guess watching my twin my Mama and others be taken and killed for what they were born as, or in my Mama's case given birth to-" This was a tender subject and he knew it.

"Okay. I'm sorry. Rawr, forgive me. I did not only come to see you. I came to tell you, Talon is Dead." I heard those words and everything went black.