CHAPTER 5

Has it been a century since I last uploaded on this story?

Wow, I am so sorry for that.

Yesterday, I felt like such a lazy bum as I got email after email from the writers that I am a fan of. They were uploading their stories all throughout the day!

Here I am a day late on posting. *tilts head down shamefully*

Here’s chapter 5!

Happy Reading!

===============================================================

5

~Amy~

As soon as we landed in Vancouver International Airport, I turned on my mobile and immediately got text messages from Matt. First, telling us to go straight to dad’s house instead of his. Second, he has something to tell me but not over the phone. The latter got me worried. Is dad okay? Are the twins fine? I voiced them out to my husband and his answer was an unconvincing shrug of his shoulders.

“Don’t worry, we’ll find out in less than an hour. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal though or else you would’ve heard from him sooner when we talked to him last” Alex said grabbing my hand closest to him and giving it a squeeze for reassurance.

“You’re probably right.” I said letting it go for now as we exited our gate, got our passports stamped through customs and made our way to the arrival luggage carousel to pick up our bags.

Once we were finally out of the busy airport, we made our way to the airport’s park & fly parking lot to retrieve Alex’s truck. We started heading to the small town where Alex and I shared numerous memories.

My family moved to the small town about forty-five minutes from Vancouver, British Columbia when I was sixteen and my brother Matt was seventeen. We came from Calgary, Alberta because my parents got better job offers here and well, they were in love at first sight with how peaceful and close-knit our small town was at the time.

My high school memories weren’t the best considering I was the new kid who looked freakishly geeky clad with glasses and bumpy skin. Unlike my brother, he fitted right in with the IN crowd.  Matt was easily tagged as one of the hottest guy in our old high school right along with him is my Alex.

I still couldn’t believe how Alex was actually in love with me from the very first time he set his eyes on me. Hey, those were his exact words not mine. Like any story in a person’s life, Alex never got to tell me how he feels until after we met up again on one of our high school reunion - five years later. I guess I was dense enough not to see that everything he did, had something to do with him loving me.

It was quite a big few weeks vacation for me that turned into one of those rollercoaster rides. First, I had to deal with my old crush trying to hit on me because for some reason he finally noticed me. Or perhaps he found that I look ‘normal’ enough sans glasses and the ugly skin. Second, came the little hints that Alex in fact did have feelings for me. Third came, my ex tried to get back with me; man that was tough as I was also going through the sudden loss of my mother from a car accident leaving me a wreck for quite some time.

On top of that, my dad had a heart attack putting me in a whole new level of panic at the possibility of me losing another parent. Lastly, my bother was sneaking around with my best friend who secretly got married in Vegas while I accompanied dad to Italy where my grandparents - mom’s side - spread my mother’s ashes over Lake Como.

All in all, it was a tiring few months. I think most people go through it within a span of a few years not months. So, I guess me worrying about what my brother has to say gives me the rights to panic. Besides, I think what I went through is enough to last me a lifetime.