January: Game On

As I sat in my Professional Practice class, I thought about how in the past two weeks, life has continued to surprise me. Derek and I had practically talked every night about anything and everything. We didn’t always agree but when it came down to it, we always had an understanding and respected, even joked, about the others opinion.  I’ve actually found myself wanting to know his thoughts on all sorts of topics, and loved to pick his brain.  It gave me insight to his world and his way of thinking.  Derek grew up differently than me; even though our parents were best friends, it turns out they were as different as water and oil.  He shared with me his life after they moved to Florida, growing up in a new state and city, his high school relationships, and even his high school troubles consisting of fights, drugs, and boot camp. Apparently, boot camp changed his life around, and he found himself enrolling in the army right after. His parents were laid back, more like his friends compared to mine. 

I, on the other hand, was very sheltered; my strict parents made it hard for me to ever be in any real trouble.  I never really dated before Ethan, always made the grades, and was born and raised in the same city all my life.  My life was basically by the book.

Whenever Derek would describe his life growing up, I thought of it as an adventure, something exciting.  He, however, wished to have parents that acted more like parents rather than his friends.  I hated when he would bring the conversation back on my life, because quite frankly I thought my life was a bore compared to his. However, Derek didn’t see it that way and somehow found my life interesting to say the least.  This always puzzled me, but he found comfort in my words and wished we had reunited years ago, and then maybe his life wouldn’t be what it is today.

I feel someone sit down next to me, and I am suddenly brought back to reality.  I look up to see Sarah taking her seat beside me, and gave her a welcoming smile.  She returned it, and looked to the front of the classroom where the professor stood holding our manuscripts.  Today was the day we received our partners, in which we would be stuck with for the rest of the semester.  I zoned out, looking around the room thinking of who my partner would be, and secretly hoping it wasn’t Sarah.  I don’t know what it is with her lately, but she has been giving me a weird vibe.  There was something she was hiding from me, I could feel it. 

While the professor started to call out our partner names, I glanced over at Sarah, looking at her, and trying again to figure out what she wasn’t telling me. She continued to look ahead, making sure not to make any eye contact with me as the professor continued calling names.

“Swade,” the professor called, grabbing my attention. I felt nervous, and kept thinking ‘Please don’t be Sarah.’

“And Stratford.” Relief washed over me as I realized it wasn’t Sarah. I looked around the room, the name sounded familiar but I couldn’t place my finger on it, until my eyes met another.  His dark brown eyes glared back at me, Brent’s eyes.  He rolled his eyes, and slumped back in his chair and muttered something to John, who was sitting next to him.  John looked my way and gave me a small knowing smirk before turning his attention back to the front of the class as the professor called his name, “Wilson.”

I was so worried about Sarah being my partner, I didn't think about the possibility of Brent. Plus, partners were supposed to be based on some type on commonality. No doubt his manuscript would be about sports, what was the professor thinking.  

 “And Prado,” I looked up as Sarah’s name was called.  She wore a smile on her face; she was actually enjoying this. Sarah was just partnered with John, which made me a little jealous. Why should I have to suffer with a crappy partner, who will gladly point out anything he sees unfit and question everything I say, while she practically get a free pass with the easy going, too nice to be actually critical John.