Incoming: A Second Chance

PROLOGUE: APRIL

My heart tugged as I glanced down at the picture of us together. My finger started outlining the creases around his green eyes, the scar along his jaw line, and then around his perfect lips, bringing back memories from that day.  I remember the day as if it were yesterday.  We had an amazing day together; first he took me to my favorite spot for dinner, a great small “hole in the wall” Italian spot that we both agreed was an undiscovered gem.  Then he surprised me with ice skating afterwards.  I was so excited about this since I had been begging for him to take me. He was so adorable that day, not knowing how to ice skate, but that didn’t keep him from trying to impress me. I can honestly say I was definitely impressed, impressed on how many times a guy could fall, but he still managed to get up every time with that cute smile of his. That smile is what I fell in love with.

In the picture, we are on the ice and you are holding me, looking down at me with those bright green eyes and dimpled smile that makes me forget the world. He had a look in his eyes that day as if nothing could take me away from him. He would hold me like that forever if he could, protecting me from the world and everything in it. Then I look at myself, I’m also smiling and looking back into his eyes, expression filled with a pure bliss because that was the very moment, the very moment I knew I loved him and I would do anything and everything to keep him. 

I picked up the picture frame and held it tight to my chest as a single tear rolled down my cheek. How could I hurt him like this? How can I do this to him?

The phone begins to ring, and my mind wanders to when it all started, ironically it all started with just that...a phone call!