MTMR chapter 7

Chapter 7*

"Alexandria, if you can hear me, I need you to squeeze my fingers, hon."

The air around me was permeated with the strong, metallic scent of blood. My body was exhausted and it was a struggle just to strain to hear what sounded like a distant voice. I heard what it said, and I understood the simple words, but I couldn't bring myself to do as they asked. I wanted to so badly move my hand and tell them I was listening, but nothing worked, nothing cooperated.

All my senses were fully operable: I could hear the voices around me and the sound of wheels rolling over a flat surface; I could smell the antibacterial and too clean scent mixed with that of the blood that I was sure was my own; I could feel the warm, soft hand that was closed gently over mine, the delicate fingers that were brushing my sticky hair away from my face, the sensation of falling, but being completely immobile; I could see the insides of my eyelids and the swirling smoky pattern of brilliant colors that flashed there and closed in on me; I could taste the blood in my mouth, the same metallic properties that was shown through its smell, and the fresh, purified oxygen that was being forced upon me.

The panicked voices that I couldn't place were fading, losing context and substance. They all dulled until the only thing I could hear was my own shallow breathing.

{*************************************BVB**********************************}

What seemed like years, but I knew was only moments, later, the voices resurfaced, grainy and detached at first, but gaining firmness and reality.

"We need to get her stabilized," a feminine voice was saying. "Even blood relatives need to stay here until we know there's not a risk."

"A risk? A risk for what? Possibly knowing what is happening to our best friend? A risk of maybe getting the slightest freaked out about what's happening to her?" As the voice continued on, I could decipher who it was. "If you haven't noticed, lady, that's already happened. You failure to stop the inevitable is really pathetic. I get that you're doing your job, but sometimes I think moral decisions are better than ethical ones." Sammi. The only one with a big enough pair of lady balls to tell off the hospital staff, I was assuming, and not completely cuss them out.

"I'm sorry, miss," the other lady was trying to sooth. "I'm going to be completely honest with you and tell you that, right now, what you want is totally reasonable and I would be arguing the same side. But, right now, my ethical decisions are the difference between life and death for your friend. If it helps at all, I'll be here every half hour to give you an update. But I really need to get Mrs. Biersack into surgery."

I sensed that Sammi was getting riled up again and ready to chew one out, but there was a heavy sigh from someone else close by.

"Give it a rest for now, Sammi," Lexi said, sounding almost as exhausted as I was.

"Yeah, girl, pick your battles," Scar agreed. "This isn't the best one right now. Our biggest concern now is Zandy and the babies."

A frustrated growl resonated within Sammi, one of the best friends anyone would be lucky to have. "Fine, I concede."

"Thank you, miss," the one lady from before said. "I'll be back in a half hour."

For the past few moments, I had been fading again, everything becoming muddled and relatively unclear. The lasts parts of the conversation were a struggle for me to hear and the unclarity was unbecoming. Right before I blanked out once again, I heard the one thing that I hoped against all hope would keep me going through this.

"Ma!"

{*********************************BVB**************************************}

"Alright, Alexandria, I don't know if you can hear me or not, but I'm going to explain to you anyway. The bullet is lodged in your right shoulder and, as far as the x-ray has revealed, it's partially shattered your clavicle. We're working on stripping you down and giving you sedatives. Then we're heading in for surgery. The procedure should only take about a half hour to an hour. We're giving you the sedatives now as well as hooking you up to an IV drip and blood transfusion. You've lost a lot of blood, sweetie, but your baby is fine."