MTMR chapter 2

Chapter 2*

"It's all gonna be okay, baby," my mom reassured me over the phone. He voice was concerned, but she hid it well. "Even if the exam comes back positive, we'll all deal. We're all here for you, sweetie."  

I was with a sleeping Ali and an impatient husband in the waiting room at the audiologist talking to my mom. She was offering support and comfort, which was really nice of her. Both Andy and I needed all the support that we could get right now. Neither of us had ever imagined that we were going to have to go through something like this. I guess it's like they say, 'expect the impossible'. 

"Thanks, Mom," I responded gently, not wanting to disturb all of the other people in here. "I'm just worried, is all." 

"I understand that, baby. Just try to relax and be optimistic," she offered. "Everything will be okay." 

"Alesana Biersack," a nurse called suddenly. I wasn't even paying attention to who was being called until now. 

"I gotta go, Mama, I'll call you later. Thanks," I told her quickly, and I got a short response before we both hung up. 

Andy already had Ali in his arms and was just waiting for me to be ready. I grabbed onto his hand and hoisted myself off of the chair, sticking close to his side while I was standing. I was nervous for this and the results, but I was anxious also. I wanted to figure this out as soon as possible and figure out what to do about it. I would do anything for my kids and learning a language was definitely one of them. 

The nurse smiled and did the whole introduction thing, as per usual. Then she took Ali's temperature and blood pressure and all that, even though the other part of the hospital had done that just yesterday. Whatever, hospitals are weird. 

We were sent into a room with an odd looking machine in it, a bed, and a few chairs. The doctor, whom I as assuming was the audiologist, was already in there, looking intently at a computer screen. When the door closed behind us, she snapped her head up to us and smiled. She looked nice, in her late forties with greying deep brown hair and warm face. As of right now, she was on my 'Okay' list.  

"Hello, I'm Dr. Ramsay," she introduced, standing and shaking both Andy's and my hand. "I got an important message from Dr. Miller yesterday about your family. I'm sorry that you even have to begin to experience this, but I'm going to do everything within my power to make this as simple and easy-going as possible." 

"Thank you," Andy and I said together, nodding solemnly. Dr. Ramsay asked us to take a seat and she explained to us about the test she was going to run. 

"We'll be running a test or screening called an AABR. Basically, what we're going to do is attach monitors on Ali's head and neck and put headphones around her ears. She can sleep through this, and it'll only take about ten minutes. When I get the results on the screen I'll be able to tell if it's permanent, temporary, whether or not it's genetic and to what extent. I'll also tell you what you'll need to do and your options if she's partially deaf. We'll go over all those once we're done though. For now, it's going to have to be very quiet in here." 

Andy and I nodded, both of us solemn. I laid Ali on the available table and let the doctor hook the machine up to her. We sat anxiously in the free chairs, our hands clamped together tightly and almost painfully. I was and I wasn't prepared for results. I wanted to know what my baby girl was diagnosed with so we could help her as soon as possible. I didn't want to know because it would mean that I wouldn't have to face the reality of my little Ali possibly being permanently deaf. All of this was just so surreal in a completely awful way. 

Dr. Ramsay gave the both of us a small smile before she started up the machine. It made a slight buzzing sound for a moment before becoming completely silent. She stared at the screen intently as I gazed at my beautiful baby girl, and I knew Andy was doing the same. His thumb was rubbing soothing circles on the back of my hand and I loosened my vice-like death grip on his hand. All of the tension of this whole situation was making me exert my emotions physically, which resulted in me nearly tearing my husband's hand off. Maybe I needed to take up yoga or something.