'I'm So Screwed'

She glanced at the clock, she rubbed her eyes trying to rub the blur away her phone still ringing, it was just after four in the morning on her day off. She quickly silenced it, not even bothering to check the caller ID and she really didn't want to talk Adam or anyone else for that matter.

Kevin hissed when it went to voicemail, "Come on Kim" he glanced over at Adam who had his face buried in his hands, blood caked on his face.

"Didya get ahold of her?" Antonio asked as he sipped his coffee, only an hour earlier Adam had called him to notify him of what was about to go down and in typical Adam Ruzek fashion he ignored his orders.

"Nah, she's not picking up, and I don't want to tell her in a voicemail" he knew she'd freak out, no matter how he explained it she would lose her shit.

Antonio glanced at Adam, he knew shit was about to hit the fan for Adam, once the ivory tower caught wind of what had gone down.

"Go get her" he tossed his unfinished coffee in the trash case, "he's screwed"

Kevin sighed, "It's bad?"

Antonio nodded wordlessly and walked off in search of Voight.

Adam's gut churned, his body ached from the collision with the entrance of the restaurant wishing he had worn his seat belt. His eyes trained on the woman laying under the yellow tarp, he ached for her. The sound of her screams still reverberated in his head, and the callousness which 'Frank' had displayed when he shot her in the head unnerved him.

A hand landing on his shoulder brought him out of his reverie, "You feeling okay?" Kevin questioned him, handing him the towel. "Clean your face up, have you seen the paramedics yet? Got checked out?"

"Nah, I'm fine Kevin" his usual boisterous voice now flat and devoid of anything resembling Adam Ruzek. "I'm so screwed Kev" he couldn't believe how this day had transpired first learning his fiancé wanted to push back their wedding, if she even wanted to marry him at all now and to add to that he may have flushed his career down the shitter.

"Quit saying that Man, it'll work out. All of it" Kevin countered, "I gotta take care of something, I will be right back" he wasn't about to tell him he was going to pick Kim up.

"Uh-huh" Adam sat back down in the chair ignoring the towel Kevin had handed him.

"Ugh!" Kim groaned as she slipped her robe on, the knocking on the door grew louder with each passing second, "I'm coming, damn it"

She slid the chain across the lock and undid the deadbolt, earlier in their relationship Adam had insisted the chain wasn't enough of a lock and she needed a deadbolt. He showed up on her doorstep one Sunday morning and installed it.

"What?" She asked as she pulled the door open, her heart skipping a beat when she found Kevin was the one doing the knocking. Immediately she knew something was wrong, "What is it?" She was relieved that Adam wasn't working, "What's going on?" She noticed blood on Kevin's shirt, "My god Kevin you're bleeding, come inside"

He cursed himself, he didn't even realize he had gotten any of Adam's blood on him, it must have been when they tried to break up the fight that was about to go down between Adam and some patrol man who was trying to impress Voight.

"It's not mine, I'm fine" he retorted, "Listen to me okay?"

She sat on the couch, fear filling her entire body, "Kevin, you're starting to scare me"

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to" he stopped, he knew she needed to get dressed, "why don't you go get dressed"

Kim slowly stood up and made her way to her bedroom, something about the tone of his voice compelled her to follow his directions.

Kevin looked at the pictures hanging on her living room wall, a few shots of whom he could only assume were her parents and one of her sister and niece. He stopped at a picture of her and Adam, it was just after their engagement announcement at Molly's both smiling from ear to ear. It was hard to believe that was just a few short months ago and now because of his big mouth it seemed Kim was on the verge of calling it all off.

"Will you tell me now? Please?" She was almost begging.

Kevin spun on his heels facing her, "Adam's been in an accident"

She said nothing as they got in the car, Kevin kept stealing glances at her unable to read her expression. It was obvious she was terrified, but strangely enough she looked angry as well. He knew she was really angry with Adam about keeping his engagement history from her and he was certain she was pissed that he knew about it and she didn't.

Kim was confused, Chicago Med was in the opposite direction, "Kevin? Where are we going?"

He turned into the shopping center, the sun beginning to rise and so did her level of panic "Kevin, what the hell?" The truck sticking out of the now demolished restaurant "where is Adam?"

He parked the car, "Before you get out you need to know" his arm over the back of her seat, "he was working a case, off the books" he saw Kim's shoulders slump, "Some informant tipped him off to this robbery" he pointed at the jewelry store, "Shit went seriously sideways, shots fired a couple of DOAs"

"Adam?"

"He's inside being questioned, Voight and Dawson are with him" he explained, "he's in hot water"

She brought her hand to her forehead, "He's physically okay, right?"

"He's got a nasty gash on his forehead, and I'm sure he's hurting but he's okay" Kevin got out, Kim following after him, "Kim, Dawson said his badge may be on the line"

Kim stopped and folded her arms across her chest, "When can I see him?" Her anger with him dissipating the minute Kevin told her he had been in an accident.

"I don't know, but Dawson wanted you here when Adam came out" he explained, "Kim, I'm sor-"

"Not now Kevin" she cut him off, the last thing she wanted to discuss was her and Adam's relationship issues, her concern for Adam's well being trumping everything else.

"Ok" Kevin said softly.

"Boss, I had no idea" Adam pleaded, wringing his hands, "I swear"

Hank clapped him on the back, "I know kid, but you fucked up when you ignored Dawson's order"

Adam shuffled his feet in the sheet rock  and broken glass, "I know, I'm sorry"

"I'm the only cop you talk to, got it?"

"Yea"

"Let's go" Hank led him outside, the paramedics rushing to them.

Adam waved them off, "I'm fine" moving his head away from one of the medics.

"Ruzek, you need to get checked out" Voight ordered, "go"

Kim was growing impatient, finally spotting him sitting in the back of the ambulance his shoulders slumped and his head hung.

She went to him, "Adam?" She leaned against the door, "Adam?" Her hand on his thigh, it was as if she was invisible.

She placed her hand on his cheek lifting his head so she was looking him in the eye, "Baby, are you okay?"

Adam pulled back from her touch, "I'm fine" he tossed the blanket that had been draped over his shoulders on the gurney and hopped out of the ambulance, leaving her at the back of the ambulance, alone.