About Author/Story

About the story:

This novella is the first of a series of novellas I'll be writing about Klawdia. Klawdia is a supporting character in the my Concealed Power (The Healers of Meligna Series) novel which I am releasing in three weeks time. This novella precedes Concealed Power and gives information about the Ruxdor nation located North of South Senya, where Concealed Power takes place.

I wrote Concealed Power first and Klawdia's story came to me from writing that first novel. I spent quite a bit of time learning how to write fight scenes for this book, to my surprise, I found myself a natural at it. I also downloaded the "Winter Survival Course Handbook" for U.S. marines to derive ideas on how to live and survive in snowy climates. I also watched documentaries on Youtube, read books from the library and asked experts on their advice. 

As for the fighting methods, Brandon Sanderson has an excellent and extensive series of fantasy writing methods on Youtube. I've learned so much from him, taking writing courses and generally just researching how other writers create engaging fight scenes. 

Klawdia is a very different character from Adenine, who is the protagonist of my Healers of Meligna series. Klawdia is assertive, proactive and bold whereas Adenine is quite passive. I think this is why Klawdia and Adenine --later on in the history -- develop such a close bond. 

Klawdia has been inspired by others characters I've come to love such as Balsa from Moribito: Guardians of the spirit (a japanese anime-- absolutely worth watching); Katsa from Graceling by Kristin Cashore and many other 'strong' but not cliche, female characters.  

I intend to write 5-6 novellas in this series and they will span 15 years of Klawdia's life; although large periods of time will be skipped. I loved writing Bear Heart and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

About the Author: 

Kylie J. Colt lives on the west coast of Australia in the sprawling city of Perth and has been writing for three years. Her favourite writers are Kristin Cashore, Robin Hobb, Trudi Canavan and Maria V. Snyder. She has an honours degree in psychology and counselling, enjoys road trips, gaming (Skyrim/Civilisation/Assassin’s Creed), music festivals (electronica), playing pool, yoga, bushwalking, and gobbles up anything fantasy-related. Her favourite fantasy shows include Game of Thrones and Trueblood, and she is currently reading Robin Hobb’s Blood of Dragons.