Chapter Three

Sharp talons dug into my shoulder. I cried out in pain and swung my fist, knocking the bird across the head. My knuckles throbbed, but a surge of energy allowed me to run. While darting between trees, I took out my dagger. The bird hovered above the trees, following me as I ran, keeping close to the trees. Cover was sparse, and the hawgrald beat its wings faster and faster. I waited for it to grab me and drag me into the sky. My shoulder stung. A wound so early would not bode well for my bear fight.

I came to a clearing, removed my bow and nocked the arrow on the bowstring. I turned, aimed, and let go. The arrow lodged under the hawgrald’s wing. It screamed, and my ears rang from the loudness of it. It continued towards me, but the wing trembled and eventually drooped. The bird hit the ground, spraying snow into my face.

Skelkra ran up behind me and lunged at the bird’s neck with a knife. The beast gargled for a moment and thrashed its head to the right, knocking Skelkra against a tree. Its eyes wide and panicked, the bird stretched its head, gasping for air. With each gulp, its eyelids closed a little more until it collapsed to the ground. Blood trickled from its beak.

Skelkra stood and wiped his knife on his loincloth. ‘Well, it’s no deer, but it will do.’ He chuckled.

My legs still trembling, I sank to the ground. And to think, Jeykal had to kill one of those.

Skelkra touched my shoulder where the hawgrald had scratched me. ‘The wound is shallow, but you should wash it anyway.’

Blood ran down my arm. If the other challengers knew I was injured, they might be tempted to take advantage of my weakness. Skelkra hauled me to my feet. Our bodies touched, and for an instant, I forgot my injury.

‘You’re a good shot,’ he said.

‘Jeykal taught me.’

He ran a finger along my jawline. ‘That boy has a thing for you?’

I shivered. ‘And you don’t?’ I challenged him.

He regarded me for a moment and smirked. A smile forced its way onto my lips too, and I snorted, shaking my head. We walked back to our encampment. Skelkra dragged the hawgrald’s carcass.

We spent the next hour cutting the bird in half. We cooked some of the leftover meat not intended for bait and ate. Our feet had started turning blue, and we warmed them by the fire. Mine tingled as the feeling came back into each toe. I massaged my feet, squeezing and pushing until they reddened with blood flow. I cooked my fish from earlier. Skelkra went to the river to fetch water. Upon returning, he cut his knapsack in two and used one half to store his belongings and the other to dab water onto my wounds. He washed hawgrald blood from his body, and water dripped down his legs.

‘Aren’t you cold?’ I asked.

‘No more than you would be.’ His gaze lingered on my stomach and moved up to my breasts.

The back of my neck tingled, and I ached for his fingers to stroke my skin. Distracted again.

I shook my head and met his eyes. ‘The day is closing. I must set the trap now.’

He gripped my arm fervently. ‘You are injured. Rest tonight and hunt tomorrow.’

‘No.’ I rose from the ground. ‘Now is the time for me to strike.’

I packed my things, grabbed a portion of the bloody hawgrald carcass, and moved across the mountain. Thixal walked behind me, stopping when I stopped, climbing when I climbed. I aimed for a ravine ahead, where I would lure the outermost bear to the meat. I hoped I could find one far enough away from his friends that our violent embrace would go unnoticed.