Chapter Six

‘My daughter,’ Father said as his horse sidestepped towards me.

Accompanying him were the leaders from every tribe, about half the tribal council. My eyes settled on my father and then Jeykal’s. The air grew tense.

‘Great leader,’ I replied, bowing my head low. I lugged the bag with the bear head to the feet of his horse. ‘Here is my prize.’

Father stared at the blood on my pants where my wound was; next, his gaze fixed on my damaged arm. I glanced between the leaders of the tribes. Some smirked, and others frowned. Skelkra’s father glared at me.

‘Skelkra has already returned,’ Father said, and I could see the many questions behind his steely gaze.

‘Cheaters often win the battle but lose the war,’ I replied.

Skelkra’s father spat at the ground. ‘She lies. My son is no cheater. She offered herself to him; he rejected her. Unrequited love stings the pride, and she is proud like her father.’

The chieftain twisted in his saddle to stare at the Wolf leader. ‘We will deal with this in the city hall.’ Father threw me a penetrating scowl and kicked his horse to a gallop.

A warrior rode up, leading two horses. Jeykal helped me onto mine and fastened our supplies to the saddles. He swung his leg up and settled into the seat.

I smiled at him encouragingly; dark circles had formed like rain clouds around his blue eyes. He smiled back and whipped his reins. His horse trotted forwards. I kicked my own mare with my left foot, and the animal jolted, causing pain to shoot through my weakened body.

We galloped across the plains and slowed when we reached the woods that would eventually break way to Vilseek farmlands. I was happy that I did not have to walk, or limp, the entire way. Sleet fell from the sky, the cool flakes catching in my horse’s mane. Field workers watched us cross towards the tall, log fence, the tops of which had been carved into spikes. Atop them sat skulls from enemies of the past. Interspaced towers holding archers and scouts broke up the mountainous background. Looking at the skulls again, I wondered what Skelkra had told the elders.

Jeykal’s father led him to his hut.

Father took me to his. ‘Get out!’ he yelled at Delsa, his personal slave.

She dropped the cup she’d been cleaning and fled the room in panic.

‘There’ll be a meeting. Tell me what happened, now.’

‘Well, mainly betrayal,’ I said.

‘Did you really throw yourself at the Wolf boy?’

Fatigue had taken my will to lie, to deceive; only truth was left. ‘No. Well. It was different than he says. He kept following me while I tracked the bears. I told him to go away. He said he thought I’d die if I faced the bear alone, but I did, and I killed it, Father.’ I smiled at him, showing my pride.

Father looked down at my leg. ‘Your wound is from a bear claw. Did the bear break your arm as well?’

‘No. Skelkra broke it. Let me finish. After my fight with the bear, I passed out. He took care of my wounds, made a fire, and then later we lay together.’

Father clenched his fists. ‘You bonded with him?’

In the past, Father had beaten me many times. The memories of those times surfaced, making me wary of our proximity. ‘I’ve always liked him, Father. We’ve been destined for each other since we were born.’

‘But you’re fifteen. He took advantage of you. You were injured.’

I shook my head. ‘No. I wanted it.’