Chapter 40

My first instinct is to say no. I can't drag a two year old across the state, all the way to D.C. If they've already lost eight people, I don't understand why they're still trying. They won't make it. They're eventually going to die.

"I can't bring him to D.C.," I say, looking at Sam before returning my gaze back to Joel.

"We've only got about 300 miles left," he replies.

I laugh. "Only 300?"

"Once we get another car it shouldn't be too long before we get there."

"I'll have to pass, but thank you." I force a smile.

Joel nods. "I don't know how well you're doing on your own, but we could help you if you joined us. Strength in numbers."

I contemplate his offer. Sam and I have just barely been scarping by. We could use their help. And I could potentially help save the human race. That's all I wanted to do when I was with Jonah. Sam and I have nothing that's keeping us here. Even if we were to stay, we wouldn't find Daryl.

And if I join them I won't have to be alone anymore. Joel seems trustworthy. If I went with them they could help get food for Sam, help give him more than I can alone. I don't know what's best. I don't know what to do. Being constantly on the move puts Sam at a higher risk for dying and I know he wouldn't be too thrilled about moving all the time. But I could save people.

I could help end this.

I look up at Joel. "Okay, we'll go with you."

Joel and Ellie stay that night at the house with us while I pack. We have so much here. It's hard for me to let things go. I want to take some of the Christmas ornaments with us, and a few of Sam's toys. We have memories here that I don't want to forget. I wipe away a tear as I shove the things we need into our backpacks.

My mind wanders to when I was at Carrie's parents' house with Daryl. I'm standing next to him as he grumbles to himself because everything isn't fitting into the packs. I tell him if he actually folds things it'll all fit, but he doesn't listen. He never listened to me.

I think about the time when a walker broke through the front door and almost killed me. Daryl busted through the door to find me crying on the floor. I remember the pale color of his eyes and the scars on his face. I remember the way I felt when he held my gaze and told me everything was going to be okay.

I'd give anything to hear those words leave his lips again. I'd give anything to have him here just so he could yell at me and piss me off with his mood swings. Nothing sounds more perfect.

"Need help?"

I turn around to see Joel standing in the doorway of my bedroom with Sam in his arms. I wipe away a tear from my cheek. "Oh, I'm almost done."

He nods. "If you need anything, we'll be right out here."

"Thanks," I say with a weak smile.

Sam and I sleep in our bed for the last time. He snuggles up next to me, breathing softly through his mouth as he sleeps. I stare at the vacant spot next to me. Daryl would fit perfectly there. He'd fit perfectly with me anywhere.