Part 1, Chapter 1: Andrew

Andrew Downing was my first real boyfriend. I mean, sure, I'd held hands with a few boys back in elementary school and middle school, but I'd never had an actual boyfriend. In the middle of freshman year, we were partnered up in biology. I'd always thought he was really cute, but now I fell completely in love. I treasured his every smile; gosh, it was beautiful.

One day, I was about to leave class after the bell, when he said: "Krista, wait!"

"Yes, Andrew?" I inquired, turning around.

"I need to ask you something," he said, taking my hand in his.

"What?" I asked.

"Will you... will you go out with me?" Andrew asked.

"Yes!" I exclaimed, hugging him.

It took about two days for me to realize that Andrew and I had absolutely nothing in common. We literally could not decide which restaurant to go to for our first date. Every now and then, I went over to his house, but we just didn't really click. Hanging with him was just boring. Some days, I'd tell him I was sick, or that I had other plans.

One day, I was talking to my best guy friend, Will. We were talking about the Dallas Cowboys' game from the previous night (we were both major Cowboys fans). There was an awkward lull in our conversation.

"Do you like Andrew?" Will asked, to fill the gap.

"I don't know," I said. "He is attractive, and he is my boyfriend."

"I know, but do you actually like him?" Will asked.

"A little," I said, "but... I don't really love him. I just... I don't really feel anything when I'm with him."

I don't know why I was discussing my feelings with Will. I mean, he's my best guy friend, but he's a guy. That's just too awkward. Also, why was he asking me about my feelings? Like I said he's a guy. Most guys don't like to talk about feelings.

"Krista, what the hell?"

I turned around. Andrew was standing behind me, and he looked hurt.

"Andrew, I didn't mean-"

"Krista, if you didn't like me, then why didn't you just tell me?" Andrew asked, cutting me off.

"I'm sorry, Andrew," I replied, and I truly was. "I really do like you; I'm just not in love with you."

"Whatever," Andrew said. "I see how it is. We're through."

"Okay," I said, feeling a little bad. I felt like I was supposed to cry about it, but I didn't. I couldn't. I'd never truly loved Andrew, so the break-up didn't matter to me as much as it should have.

"Ouch," Will said.

"It's okay, Will," I said.

"Are you sure?" Will asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "Like I said, I didn't even like him that much."

"True," Will said. "I have to go." He flipped his long, floppy brown hair. "Bye, Krista."

"Bye, Will."

And goodbye Andrew.