Until Forever

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used factiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business companies, events or locals is entirely coincidental. 

No part of the publication and its associated content may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form, or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without written permission of the author.

Copyright © 2015Leah Crichton

Chapter One

I kissed Finn Ellis before I ever uttered a single word to him. It was a dare--one that I'd accepted with the carelessness that comes along with being sixteen. The kind of reckless abandon brought on by final exams, year-end parties and sweet summer flings. 

I hadn't realized that a single kiss could alter me so completely, that it could define me. That it would be so undeniably electric that I'd feel the air shift with some invisible cosmic force, pulling me into a part of myself I never knew existed.

I didn't know any of these things until that kiss.

June 2008  

Summer temperatures in Riverside border on unbearable. To make it worse, Brittney's air conditioner crapped out two weeks before the heat-wave so we all pile into her car; willing to suffer through the inferno because Wheeler Boyle is hosting the 'it' party of the year and anyone who is someone shows up there.

The odds of arriving at Wheeler's house without a serious farmer's tan are slim given that the universe is conspiring against us and we are hitting every red light in the city. We are only a mile or so away from our destination when a shiny black Chevy rolls to a stop beside us.

A sharp intake of breath comes from Talla's side of the car. "Oh. My. God. Check out that inventory."

For a tenth of a second, I think she means the car until my eyes fix on its driver. His hair is shorter on the sides, longer on the top and windblown in a sexy and disheveled mess that is suggestive of a roll in bed.  His profile is absurdly proportional, with strong lines and features; an artist's dream no doubt and his lips jut out in a pout that women I know would kill for. He leans into the seat, so relaxed he looks as though he may be considering a nap instead of a drive.

"Yeah," I say, "he's cute."

Brittney tugs her visor down, applies her crimson lipstick and puckers her lips. "Darling please, that boy is flawless. I think I just got pregnant looking at him."

"He's cute," I say again, "but he's not like--a God or anything."

"Right," Brittney says, "As if you wouldn't jump all over the chance to kiss him."

"I bet," Talla adds, "that his lips are seriously addictive."

"I bet they're just like everyone else's lips." My thought from a few moments prior contradicts this statement but there is really no point in ogling some untouchable boy.

"I bet they're impossible to get away from."

I scoff. "Seriously, the two of you are ridiculous."

"Look at his lips," Talla practically shouts, "they're unfathomably sexy!"

"They're just lips."

Talla cuts in, her voice firm and challenging. "If they're just lips then I dare you to kiss him."

"I beg your pardon?"

"You heard me. Kiss him. If you think you can walk away that easily, why not put your little theory to the test?"