Chapter 5

A/N: Hey guys! sorry for such a brief chapter/abrupt ending to the last chapter! I posted it accidentally. I was also on a 3 week vacation, so you know how that goes. Anywhoo, hope you like this chapter! I'm also dedicating this chapter to princessshree (hope I got that right) who's commented on every chapter in this story! Thanks a ton! Luv ya! :)  And thanks to all the silent readers I appreciate you too! Don't forget to fan/comment/vote! Mika <3

P.S. To those of you wondering what Markus looks like, the pic on the side is him. :) who recognizes him? ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recap (as if you need it):

Oh my fricking God. I crossed my fingers and squeezed my eyes shut. Please don't notice Markus, please don't notice Markus... I repeated my mantra in my head.

Too late. Robby laughed loudly, and called to Markus. "Hey, is it true that gingers have no soul?" That raised a brief laughter from Jockville. Markus looked up to see if Robby was talking to him, and his eyes met the fire-filled, horrid eyes of Robert. "No..." Markus trailed off. "Oh," Robby acted shocked. I walked behind Robby. "Back off, Robert," I stepped in, and said his name lividly. "Oooh," arose from his table. I turned my attention to them. "Keep your dirty, lying, filthy, hating mouths shut." The guys mouths instantly turned downwards, but their eyes were still lit like Christmas trees. "Anyway, Robby, don't say a word to, or lay a hand on, Markus, or I will personally hand your butt to you on a silver tray." I said the words loathingly, and I was about to walk off when I felt two hands grip my waist with bruising force. "Oh, come on, babe," Robby's sharp, metallic voice filled my ears. He pulled me back towards him, and I struggled to get away. "You don't mean that," he continued.

"Oh, don't I?" I asked him. Suddenly, Robby's lips were crashing down on mine in a dance only he was participating in. I struggled to get away, and I finally broke free of the kiss. "You JERK!" I shrieked, and my hand instantly made contact with Robby's cheek. I heard a sharp intake of air throughout the cafeteria. Great, now everyone was watching us.  He stood there shocked, and I smirked. "Would you like to keep the rest of your butt?" And pride and dignity, I added internally, but then finished my rhetorical question. "Then I suggest you don't lay a hand on me, or Markus, ever again." I turned on my heel and adressed the cafeteria. "Seriously, people, have you nothing better to do then watch school drama? Stop gaping, you all look like goldfish." And with that, I sat at my table next to Markus. "Thanks," he said, as soon as I sat down. I waved my left hand dismissively. "Pish posh. It was no biggie," I said.

"You just slapped someone," he exclaimed. "I think that's pretty big." I pondered his statement and shrugged. "He deserved it. He's the biggest b*stard in school. He needs to see his butt on a silver platter." Markus laughed lightly.

"Well, still, thank you," he said.

"you're welcome," I replied, and then dug into my mom's mac 'n' cheese.

The rest of lunch passed without incident, and I was happy to get out of the cafeteria. My-well our, I guess (Markus and I had the same schedule) next period was math. We had half-an-hour between lunch and math though, so I dragged Markus into the courtyard. I explained to him the half-an-hour thing to him. "We all have half-an-hour between lunch and our next period cuz we have such a short lunch, plus the school doesn't want to be sued or whatever if some kid gets cramps while climbing a rope during gym that causes them to fall off the rope and break their face. So, ya know." Markus seemed humored by my explanation. "Well, I guess that's a good reason," he grinned. I nodded. "It's especially good when you forget to do your homework for a class because you can get into the library and finish the homework there."

"Well... isn't that kinda... you know... cheating?" Markus asked hesitantly. Awh, he was so innocent!

"Yeah, I guess it is, but it's also a great way not to get detention. And detention is torture," I added.

"Oh, well... I guess," Markus agreed, and we sat in silence for a second. It was getting so awkward that you could feel it, and it was making me squirm. "So..." I said, searching for something to say. "Did you read Speak?"

"Yeah, it was emotionally scarring," he commented.

"Yeah, I agree. But I bet it raised a ton of awareness." Markus nodded in concensus. "So, we've been analyzing it in class, and I guess you should copy my notes or something, but it's gonna need a lot of explaining." I puzzled over my conundrum for a minute, and then it hit me. "Hey, do you want to come over today? You know, after school? It would be a great chance for you to check out my notes, and that way I could explain them to you."

"I don't know..." Markus hesitated. My stomach dropped, but I don't know why I was so nervous. I also didn't know why I was begging him inside to say yes. I was afraid for him to say no. Markus thought for a minute and then shrugged his shoulders. " I guess I'll come. I mean, what harm could it do?"

And that's how it all started. That's how Markus and I became best friends. How we started hanging out everyday. And most important to this story, how I started to fall for him.