A Modern Belle Chapter 4

The thirty kids in my class started to flood out of the doors. We walked into the crowded hall, and I pressed myself against the wall. Markus followed me and we hurried to the cafeteria. The cafeteria looked more or less like an insane asylum. The laminate floors had turned from white to gray after years of scuffing, spills, and pranks. The tables had tons of old chewing gum plastered to the bottoms and they were also graffitied. "Did you bring your lunch?" I asked.

"Umm... no," Markus sanswered hesitantly.

"Wonderful," I muttered. "Okay, get the peanut butter and jelly," I told Markus. "It's usually safe," I said. Markus bit his lip. "Um... okay?" He said nervously. I laughed. "Don't worry." I said. "I'll go get us seats, find me after you get your lunch," I told him.

"Okay," he said and got in line. I looked for an empty table. Some of my friends called my name, but I dismissed them with a wave of my hand. I searched for an empty table, and I finally found one at the back of the cafeteria. The only downside? It was a one way ticket to Jocktown for Markus as soon as he tried to get to our table. Crap. Oh, well. I stood, abandoning my lunch as soon as I saw Markus heading toward our table. Robert "Robby" Williams also stood. Oh my fricking God. I crossed my fingers and squeezed my eyes shut. Please don't notice Markus, please don't notice Markus... I repeated my mantra in my head.