Chapter 19 - Safe Anchorage

Sanctum:

Sookie slipped from the bed to head to the bathroom. "Human needs," she whispered. She found herself looking in the mirror as she washed her hands. Her hair was messy and her lips were swollen. She looked like a woman well-loved. She closed her eyes for a minute and whispered thanks to whatever deity might be listening for giving her this second chance.

As she came out the door she saw Eric. He was on his side and he lifted the blankets, inviting her in. She remembered that photo he had given her and she found herself grinning. Then something caught her eye. It was a piece of paper on the floor near the door. "Just a minute," she said and winked. She turned off the bathroom light, walked toward where she had seen the paper and picked it up then made a beeline back to the bed.

Eric wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. He nuzzled her hair taking in the scents of her and the feel of her skin against his. "What is it?" he asked as he kissed his way along the line that her hair made along her forehead.

"Well, there's no way I can read it in the dark, Eric!" She pushed against his chest to free herself a little. "Give me a minute and I'll turn on the light." She started to lean away from him but he pulled her in tighter while tugging the paper from her fingers.

"Allow me," he said. She couldn't see the smirk on his face but she sure knew it was there.

"Show off!" she told him and released the paper so that his hand jerked back a little. Eric rolled back from her and laughed. As her eyes readjusted to the dark she could see him raise his hand to scan the message.

"It seems you are too loud, lover. You alarmed our hosts and they are now aware that I am here."

Sookie swatted his chest. "I'm loud? I'm not the one who roars and tosses furniture around!" And then Sookie laughed again and snuggled into his chest. "What does it say?" she asked.

Eric's free hand stroked her hair. Sookie closed her eyes and wondered if she could make that curious purring sound that Eric did when he was content because it was sure how she felt. "It says that I am welcome to stay here. There are light tight quarters on premises and some directions on how to find them. I am expected to make myself available tomorrow evening. Or is it this evening?" Eric looked at the clock beside the bed.

Sookie stilled against him. "Will you stay?" Eric shifted beneath her.

"I am expected in Kent. They also have light tight quarters. It is only a short ways. Whether I stay there or here it is the same."

Sookie propped herself up on her elbow so she could look at his face. She was able to see the definition better but wished she had his true night vision. "How can you say it's the same? I want you here. I just got you back and I don't want you going anywhere."

Eric smiled. "So demanding. Of course I will stay with you as long as I can. But once I go to my rest it is immaterial whether I wake here or there."

Sookie puzzled this for a minute. Then she knew. She had slept at Eric's house in Shreveport occasionally. But they never went to sleep and woke up in the same space. She had had her own bedroom. She had told him she didn't like being in his light tight space. She had told him it made her feel claustrophobic.

Sookie brought herself forward until she was close enough to his face to see his features more easily. Then with a boldness she didn't know she had she reached down and took him in her hand. She could see the surprise register on Eric's face. "Eric Northman I'm telling you that I want you to stay here. If it would make you more comfortable to move over to the new room now, we should just do it. But I am going to fall asleep in your arms and I'm going to wake up in your arms and I'm going to live every minute I can being with you." Sookie leaned forward and captured his lips. Eric took her arms then and pulled her on top of him. He kissed her like a man on fire and she kissed him right back.