Chapter 11 - Helm's A-Lee

Jackson:

The arrangements for Bartlett and Russell's gathering did not run smoothly. Like any other meeting involving busy people, finding a mutually agreeable date took longer than anyone anticipated.

Early on, the monarchs had decided to restrict the invitation. It was given that the invitees would be exclusive to rulers within the Amun Clan. Aside from Bartlett and Russell, Minnesota and Kentucky were identified as being critical to a successful conversation.

There was some discussion about including Alabama. The Queen there was active in the rule of her state, but she had also developed an unsavory reputation for gossip. Some dealings she had with the now deceased Sophie-Ann LeClerq at the Rhodes Summit had become common knowledge. Alabama had pledged support, then withdrawn that support in favor of a better deal from a competing faction. It left some uncertainty as to her trustworthiness. Bartlett and Russell were clear that the direction they wished to take the Clan would require that all those involved be united in both purpose and vision. There would be potential dangers and each participant needed to have complete trust in their fellow monarchs. At the end of the day, the decision was made to leave Alabama off the invitee list.

Tennessee was likewise dismissed. Again, there was an understanding that the King functioned as an extension of Isaiah of Kentucky. The men were friends and the situation was amicable. But both the planners agreed they added nothing to the discussion by including someone who would represent a second vote for Kentucky in all things.

In the end, invitations were extended to Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, Kentucky and Iowa.

Michigan was the first to decline. The King was facing mounting financial pressures. The Detroit bankruptcy had left him in some uncertainty as to owed payments. While he appreciated the opportunity, he regretfully deferred conversation until the upcoming Nashville summit. The Queen of Wisconsin was next. She had other pressing matters, but authorized Maude of Minnesota to speak on her behalf.

Phoebe Golden of Iowa sent her acceptance. So did Maude and Isaiah.

As the days passed and the date was still being negotiated, Russell commented to his frazzled day man that this was to be expected of vampires. "After all," he said, 'What do we have but someone else's time to waste?"

Finally all was settled. Accommodations were assigned. Donor arrangements were confirmed. Aside from Isaiah the other monarchs agreed to use the donor pool arranged through special charter with the Federal Bureau of Vampire Affairs (FBVA). Isaiah insisted on bringing his own donors with him, and additional housing that was convenient to the mansion was arranged. There would be an overlap with their 'special' guests. Once Lydia and Sookie left for the airport the next morning to take the trip north, Isaiah's donors would be moved to the carriage house.

Flowers were arranged. Evening entertainment options were discussed. All the details required to make their guests comfortable and open to conversation were settled.

Maude was the first to arrive. The others weren't coming until later in the evening. When the delegation pulled under the porte-cochere, Maude insisted that her hosts just show them to their rooms. "I don't need to make any extra work for you. Just send me a donor in about an hour. I have a good book and I'll just settle back."

Russell and Bartlett had insisted the monarch join them downstairs in the study. When Maude arrived, she found both Russell and Bartlett seated with Lydia.

"Lydia! Oh girl, what a wonderful surprise! What in the world brings you to this part of the world?" Maude advanced on the woman who rose and hugged the monarch right back.

Bartlett smiled. "I had no idea you two knew each other. What a happy coincidence." Bartlett directed his eyes to Russell. Russell nodded. They would need to talk about this later.