Chapter 15 - Boxing the Compass

Boxing the Compass is an exercise in which the points of a compass are named in the order in which they occur in a clockwise direction. It's a matter of study and discipline and requires a well-ordered mind.

Lake Aluma:

Eric's first order of business following Freyda's death had been to walk away from the ballroom that held the puddle that had been his wife and go to his own chambers. He had ripped down the wall sections that held the listening devices and cameras his dear wife had installed to spy on him and he destroyed each one. He then shredded the clothing and every gift that had been given him by Freyda.

It gave him satisfaction to sit down in the middle of the wreckage and start placing calls to his progeny.

The days that followed the takeover were difficult. Even for a vampire as old as Eric, keeping all the details straight was impossible.

As soon as the change in monarchy was registered; first with Narayana Clan and then with Zeus Clan; the paperwork started. Mr. Cataliades was awaiting them as they rose the next evening. He brought a team of individuals; each with a specialized area of expertise.

He bowed to the king then turned to Eric. "Greetings, Mr. Northman. It seems that we are meeting under slightly different circumstances than the last time." Eric nodded. His last conversations with the demon lawyer had been in connection with his attempts to finding a way out of the marriage.

"Yes it is different," smiled Eric. "But it would seem we have arrived at the same outcome."

Mr. Cataliades smiled back. "Yes. Just so."

Eric spent the majority of those first days with the team that specialized in public relations. As the grieving spouse Eric was expected to present a certain image. His wardrobe was reviewed and selections made for public appearances. He was drilled in scripted phrases that would be used to convey to anyone who asked the very picture of a sad but determined husband just 'trying to carry on her memory.'

Because Freyda had visibility within the human world it was necessary to arrange a formal memorial service. Announcements needed to be posted and offices closed. Flowers were ordered and pictures of Freyda were arranged complete with black draping.

Formal statements for all the media sources were prepared. Some were tailored to the general public. Some were tailored to the business concerns of the crown. In all cases a photo of Eric Northman was included, identifying him as succeeding his wife in all her ventures. Within days the team was orchestrating public appearances. There were television interviews and meetings with both existing management teams and representatives of key business partners.

All in all, it was taking all of Eric's acting skills.

Parallel campaigns were underway involving the unravelling of the complexities of the estate. There were injunctions to file and bank accounts to access. There were quick claims to be drafted and affidavits to be processed. Freyda had not bothered to have Eric's name officially placed on all of her assets. Mr. Cataliades nagged the Viking that it would be better to have more competent legal counsel involved the next time he married a monarch. Eric had always thought well of the demon but he found himself wanting to rip the man's head off by the time that particular discussion was over.

Eric's first call had been to Karin. She told him she would have to wrap up a few things but should be able to reach him by the end of the following week. Eric knew that Karin would be required to formally pledge fealty to de Castro if she was to be at his side. Since Felipe would still be in the state Eric instructed her to come directly to Aluma Lake.

Pam had been his second call. His child had been so overcome to hear from him that the call had not been long. She had started preparations to travel to him immediately.