Chapter 4 - It's The Falling in Love

"I miss you, my love."

I didn't feel empty or lost without him when I talked to my husband on the phone.  I felt guilt and anger.

"I miss you too," I lied.

"I'm sorry I couldn't make it to Florida to see you and I'm sorry I won't be able to meet you in Japan.  I'll see you when you're done though.  Don't worry."

This is why I was angry.  The whole time I was rehearsing in Florida he could've came to visit me but he felt other things were more important.  And now he was telling me he wasn't going to see any of the shows in Japan.  Who turns down a free trip to Japan?  My husband.

The guilt stemmed from my relationship with Greg, though.  During our time in Florida, we became too good of friends.

My marriage was falling apart before I arrived in Florida but that's no excuse.  I was making matters worse.   But Greg was a great friend and mentor.  He was teaching me everything he knew about music and I was learning so much from him.  The sexual chemistry between us was just a bonus on top of our musical relationship.  I was lonely and he was too...or so I thought until one day at Universal.

We were all hanging out on the stage, kind of clowning around.  We went through all the songs twice but Michael wanted to do it one last time.  It was our last rehearsal we would have in Florida.  It was the end of August, the day Michael's album BAD was released and a couple of days after his birthday. 

We didn't celebrate it much.  A few people gave him gifts but I was told he didn't celebrate it so I just said happy birthday and left it at that.

We started off with the first song of the set list Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'.  I was singing backup and just enjoying watching Michael dance and then Dorian stuck his finger in my ear and I completely lost focus and started giggling.

Michael turned around and looked at me with a smile but he kept going.

I hit Dorian as he laughed and then everyone stopped playing.

"What's so funny?" Michael asked with curiosity.  You would think he would be pissed off but he wanted to laugh too.

I pointed to Dorian.  "It was him."

"I'm sorry," Dorian apologized still laughing.

"Why aren't you guys focused?  Do you need a longer break?" Michael asked kindly.

"No," Dorian and I answered together.

Michael rehearsed us like crazy, seven days a week, around 10 to 12 hours a day...I felt more than ready to get on that stage in Japan.

Michael looked to the side of the stage where personnel were standing and he noticed a female. He started laughing to himself as he got closer to her.  "Carla??"

She waved and started walking closer to him. They embraced one another in a hug.

"Oh my God!" Greg yelled drawing my attention to him.  "You're here early."  He stepped out from behind his keyboard and ran to give her a long hug.

The only uninformed of her identity was us vocalists.  The band seemed to already be acquainted with her by the way they waved and smiled towards her.

Michael looked at our faces and smiled.  "This is Greg's wife."

My body became weak as my heart seemed to just have vanished from inside of me.  I had no idea he was married.  He never wore a ring, never spoke of even being involved with anyone so this was a real shock to me.