A Fling Before the Ring Chapter Continued...

Beth stood on the balcony overlooking the grounds of the Callahan’s estate, wearing only a pair of shorts and a tee. She knew she should be dressed by now, but the surrounding ambiance was breathtaking, and she couldn’t tear her eyes away.

  The orchestra had begun warming-up, and the wait staff was busy stacking flute glasses beside the beautiful lit fountain cascading champagne. The tables were covered with white linen, and the floating candle centerpieces made the perfect garnish.

The lights in the trees sparkled like small heavenly gems, illuminating the lush grounds with a romantic twinkling effect. An automatic wistful sigh breezed from her lips.

Beth glanced upward toward the sky. Not one dark cloud could be found, only dazzling stars and a clear beautiful moon peeking amid the horizon. The cool draft brushing against her skin let her know the night would be perfect.

Of course it would, she smiled. Nothing could interrupt Joshua’s party because he simply wouldn’t stand for it, she thought as her smile grew.

Glancing over her shoulder toward Evan’s room made her heart sink somewhat. There was no light coming from inside, and she hadn’t seen or spoken with him since yesterday afternoon when she’d left his office. It must have been late when he returned home last night because she never heard him come in, and he was already gone when she awoke this morning.

The gentle rap on the door jarred Beth from deep thought. Her spirits leapt. Had Evan stopped by to see her on his way in? Without realizing she was practically running, she made her way back inside the bedroom with lightening speed. Flinging open the door, she had hoped to find Evan standing in the hallway, but automatic disappointment trickled throughout when she saw Melissa standing near the threshold.

“What kind of look is that?” Melissa asked with a lopsided grin, reading her as usual.

“What look, silly?” Beth responded, and then glanced at the garment bag strewn over Melissa’s arm before she turned away and headed over to the vanity.

“Oh I get it. You were expecting Prince Charming...” Melissa said with a chuckle. “But I hardly think he’d be impressed.”

Beth watched Melissa’s gaze skim the length of her state of undress.

“Whatever, Melissa, there’s no such thing as Prince Charming! Now will you please close the door before someone sees me looking like Cinderella—after she turned back into an ugly-duckling?”

“Honey, Cinderella was never an ugly duckling, she was just a little fashioned depraved, that’s all. Nothing a good makeover can’t fix,” Melissa grinned as she shut the door behind her. “I thought we could get ready together, if you don’t mind?”

“Are you kidding me…” Beth said. “You have no idea how glad I am to see you here. I’ve been stressing all day.”

“Then move over,” Melissa slung her garment bag across the bed before taking a seat beside her on the bench. She then picked up a makeup brush lying atop the vanity and said, “First we’re going to make your eyes look so smoking-hot Mr. Gorgeous will wish he had never kept you waiting.”

 “Mr. Gorgeous even knowing I was alive at this point would be a vast improvement,” Beth said with a sigh. “Okay, Melissa, I’m all yours to work your diva-esque magic.”

Beth struggled with the stuck back zipper of the strapless red, floor-length gown before she finally felt it moving smoothly along the soft metal track. Taking a deep breath, she turned to look at her reflection in the oval shaped, free-standing, dark cherry mirror. She pursed her lips, thinking the dress looked a little snugger than she remembered when she’d tried it on in the store, but at least the seductive side slit would allow her to move without tripping. The heart-shaped curve of the bodice showcased the round mounds of her breasts perfectly, she thought, maybe a little too perfectly.