Chapter Ten: Lessons in Law & Love

Evan finished pulling on his jeans and buttoned his shirt before he ran some mousse through his damp hair. He glanced at the clock on the bathroom wall. Dinner would be ready soon and he didn’t want to keep his parents waiting.

He stepped into the hall and glanced over at Beth’s room.

He paused a minute.

He had a strong desire to knock and see if maybe she had changed her mind about joining them for dinner, but then he decided to give her the much needed privacy she’d asked for earlier. The shock she was feeling at having been caught locked in his arms by the pool had been obvious to him, and he knew his father saw it too.

Making his way downstairs, he went inside the study.

“I thought I might find you here,” he said to his father who was seated behind the rich cherry wood desk.

Joshua looked up from the paperwork he had sprawled before him and said, “Come in and close the door, son. We need to talk.”

Evan did as he was told and took a seat in the leather chair across from his father. There had been countless times as a child when he had done the exact same thing when he was about to receive a lecture, and Evan already knew what the topic would be about tonight.

“I see you and Beth are getting along well... maybe a little too well.” His dad wasted no time getting to the point, as usual.

“I like Beth," Evan knew to choose his words with care. "You told me to befriend her and take her mind off Peter. Your exact words were ‘be nice to her.’ I thought I was doing what you asked.”

Joshua leaned back in his chair and folded his hands in his lap. “I’m glad you like Beth, but I’m concerned. I don’t want her to transfer her feelings for Peter onto you for the wrong reasons.”

“Is that what you think she’s doing?”

“No. I know she really likes you. I’m not sure she knows it quite yet. But you on the other hand, you know exactly what you’re doing.”

 “I’m a grown man, Dad. We had this talk when I was thirteen.”

“Look, Evan, Peter wasn’t the right man for Beth. You know it, I know it, and deep down she knows it.”

“We’ve established that.”

“My concern is your intentions with her. If you’re just passing time while you’re in town, I would rather you do it somewhere besides the office.” His father paused and then fished. “Is that what you’re doing, Evan, just passing time?”

A frown tugged the corner of his mouth. Evan wasn’t sure what his intentions were where Beth was concerned. All he knew was he couldn’t keep his hands off her. He couldn’t quit thinking about her. Her scent, her touch, or the way she felt that night in Vegas. But more than a sexual desire, he had a need deep within to keep her free from hurt, and the last thing he wanted was to be the person to hurt her again.

 “I won’t lead her on, if that’s what you’re afraid of.”

“Look Evan, you’ll eventually return toNew Yorkand slip back into your comfortable life. Peter will come back toL.A.and by then Beth will be over anything she thought she felt for him. But what’s going to happen if Beth is left to get over feelings she’s developing for you?”

A sinking feeling settled over him. He hadn’t thought that far ahead and he certainly didn’t want to be forced to think about it now. “I’ll take what you’re saying under advisement.”

A smile appeared on his father’s face, making him look less serious. “I know. That’s why I trust you with her.” Joshua rose to his feet. “Women are a lot like the law, son. Just when you think you’ve got it all figured out, something always changes.”

***