Chapter Two Part II

The following morning…  

Beth stretched one lazy hand above her head followed by the other. Grinning from ear to ear, she felt warm and fuzzy inside knowing she had had the most incredible dream. Then releasing a moan of contentment, she snuggled deeper into the covers. Heavy lashes fluttered, and then her eyes slowly opened.

But when the unfamiliar vicinity came into focus, she realized this wasn’t her hotel room, and this wasn’t her bed she was sleeping in. Sitting up quickly, she looked across to the other pillow and saw the fresh indention, which let her know she had not been alone.

Taking in the wrecked scene, she saw her dress crumpled on the floor next to her shoes, and her strapless bra lying at the foot of the king size bed, which was in a total state of disarray. It looked as if an earthquake had struck in the middle of the night.

A bottle of champagne and two glasses resting on the nightstand caught her eye because they were sitting next to the silk tie Evan had worn the night before. It had been an earthquake alright, one in the form of a six-foot-two man who had managed to charm her undergarments right off.

Just then her heart gave a thunderous jerk when she heard the start of running water coming from inside the bath.

A horrible feeling mounted inside when the events of last night came rushing back. The champagne, the casino, the fun and laughter they’d shared, the… “Oh my God,” she whispered aloud, fisting the sheet and pulling it tight to her breast. “I’m a slut.”

This was not part of the plan. She wasn’t supposed to sleep with the guy!

Reaching to the foot of the bed, she gathered the silk garments and clutched the sheet tighter about her body as she slid from the bed. But before she had time to finish dressing, the noise of the morning shower stopped.

For an instant she froze and it took a great amount of effort to suck air into lungs.

With pounding heart and shaking hands, she stepped into her dress with much haste. Gathering her shoes and purse she fled through the front of the presidential suite, tugging on her zipper as she went.

Beth was grateful she and Melissa were staying in the same hotel because she knew she wouldn’t have far to run. Pressing the button next to the elevator shaft, she glanced nervously back toward the suite.

“Come on,” she mumbled, jamming the button harder.

She needed to get away before he discovered her ineloquent departure. A showdown in the hall of the Bellagio would snap the last shred of dignity she owned.

After what seemed an eternity, she heard a sharp, pinging noise and the elevator doors slid open. With one quick glance over her shoulder, she darted inside and let out a sigh of relief.

When the double doors snapped shut, only then did she realize she wasn’t alone.

Another passenger occupied a corner of the small space. Slanting her eyes in his direction, she saw the short, gray-haired man looking at her with a toothy smile.

Geez! Doesn’t anyone in this town know that staring is just down right rude?

Giving him a lopsided grin in return, she averted her head and pressed the button for her floor. But then to horror, she caught sight of her reflection in the shiny metal doors.

Her hair looked as if it had been caught in a blender, mascara was smeared freakishly beneath puffy eyes, and her dress was a wrinkled mess from lying on the floor all night.

No wonder the man was staring.

She looked like she’d been to an all night party and she was the party favor.