The Transition Guy Theory

Chapter One: The Look

Two words sprang to mind when beautiful eyes the color of deep viridian grabbed Beth from across the ballroom: Quit Staring!

Had no one ever told the man staring at a complete stranger in such an intense manner was considered rude in every known civilized country?

She silently begged his solemn good looks to go away and leave her alone. Instead he continued to watch her with pervasive eyes that seemed to hold a cryptic message for her alone within the depths of bluish-green circles.   

Shifting her gaze quickly, she lifted a flute from the silver tray balanced by a tuxedoed waiter and took a quick drink of the soothing champagne.

Beth then focused her attention on what her co-worker Melissa was saying over the mindless chatter surrounding them.

“Isn’t this place perfect? Just look at all the cherries you have to pick from tonight. He’s definitely in here and we’re not leaving until we find him.”

            One look at Melissa and Beth knew she was serious about this whole transition guy theory.

Beth had to smile.

The thing about Melissa’s ideas, they sounded good in argument, but bad in practice. Still, she couldn’t control the impulse to ease a peek in the direction of the tall man with jet black hair standing alone beside the terrace doors.

He had averted his head and was now looking about the crowded room with a stolid expression on his face. One that said he would rather be anywhere but here, as would she.

His uncharacteristic air disconnected him from the other attorneys in the room, who for the most part seemed boastful and narcissistic. Not him. Reluctantly she had to admit, without a doubt, he was one of the most provocative…

 Oh! …a surge of heat frizzled her cheeks when he looked across suddenly, this time catching her watching him. Beautiful eyes gripped hers once more, rendering her helpless.

Pull away. Retreat like any normal person who didn’t want to give off the wrong vibe. But instead she stood frozen while his wicked stare absorbed her without mercy-without conscience-without shame.

She watched dumbfounded as his gaze dropped in a presumptuous manner to her mouth now slightly ajar from having been caught admiring him so openly. To add to her embarrassment, he didn’t even have the courtesy to hide the smile tweaking his perfect lips. Of course he was amused she was ogling him.

Men that perfect didn’t look twice at girls like her. Except for Peter, she thought, feeling the smart of an open wound that wouldn’t seem to heal.  

 Suddenly black lashes lifted once again, letting his gaze deliberately bash into hers.

This time her heart gave a violent rumble against her chest, and in automatic reflex she clutched the tiny pearls around her neck now restricting her breathing.

This reaction only seemed to stoke his interest more. Brazen eyes journeyed in a bold manner to her breastbone she knew was rising and falling at a swift pace, and then farther to the swooping neckline of her black cocktail dress.

            “Men…” she heard Melissa saying something incoherent to her ears.

Only halfway listening, Beth snatched her eyes away from the flawless man, who was so beautiful…he was almost unbearable to watch.

            “W-what?”

            “I said men can be such jerks and especially one man in particular. We’re going to get you over Peter Callahan and out of your state of misery once and for all. Honestly, I don’t know what you ever saw in him in the first place,” Melissa said, and then rolled her eyes. “A word to the wise, girl, never and I mean never fall for someone in the office, and certainly not one of the partners. But don’t worry, it was a minor screw-up and if you stick to the program you’ll be good as new come Monday morning.”