Chapter 18; In Love and War

War. The word sounded unreal to me. Like something in a newspaper, it sounded like something that should have been miles away, something that once upon a time I could never have imagined myself being involved in. However here we were now, with just that right on our doorstep. And all I could hope for was that we were ready for what was bound to come. Ron, the beta of the Longhorn pack had dissolved a little into the rest of the group. My ears picked up a little on a conversation, planning on the best move of action, though it was unlikely we'd be able to get any advantage field wise in this. This place was undoubtedly chosen as it would have given the enemy the better hand when it came to the fight. All we could do would be to take what we were given, and make the best out of what would most likely turn out to be a very bad situation. There was little that could be done however.

The beta male looked around, probably sensing that I had been approaching and he nods a greeting to me. "Afternoon, Elliot. A pity that we couldn't meet once again in more favourable circumstances, but that's life." His words serious, despite the words which could have been taken as a joke. Though he had tried to hide it from his gaze, it didn't take much for me to tell that he was still suffering from the grief of losing his brother.
Offering my hand to him in a greeting, which the slightly younger man quickly takes and gives it a firm shake in turn. "Why the hell are you here?" I ask, a little surprised that he is present, and when I look around I realise that not all of the wolves he had brought with him, were members of his own pack, but instead a mixture of some of the American packs that I had come across. Even then a few smells I didn't recognise.
Now he frowned a little, whereas otherwise his expression had been almost completely neutral to most people. "I am sorry I didn't recognise Kai for what he was earlier." He said, but refused to make eye contact with me, and his body language in general was rather sheepish and embarrassed, but at the same time honest.We did more investigating into the death of... my brother. He left more clues around the house then a bull in a china shop, and then we began to dig a little deeper. We found out what his plans were, and we simply couldn't put up with it. We took the first plane to England that we were able to catch, and got here as soon as we could. We arrived in Manchester earlier this morning, and literally the first place we came to in London, was here." He says. It is clear that his apology is genuine, and his tone makes me want to forgive him completely.He is a kind man, and I wish that things hadn't turned out the way that they ended up doing.I rest a hand on his shoulder, to a human it wouldn't have seemed like much of an apology, but as wolves we understood the meaning behind it.Contact with another wolf was everything, it conveyed respect in some circumstances and a challenge in others. It showed warmth, but could show hatred. It was the meaning why many wolves went mad when they turned rogue or became a loner, they missed the touch of their own kind. The stern word of an alpha keeping them in contact with the side of the human, otherwise most lost control to the wolf and would have to be put down. I was a rarity, something I didn't even know how I'd survived all these years.
Though if I was being completely honest with myself, if it hadn't been for a few very close friends, and of course my job. I would have gone wild many years ago, and probably wouldn't still be standing to this day. All control would have been lost to my wolf, and I wouldn't be the same man with the same life that I was now. This was one of the many reasons as to why I was thankful for everything that I had. No matter how often I complained about every little detail I had to live with.
Despite this I would never miss having to live under the iron rule of an alpha. That was the bit that I had always hated. I would never be strong enough to challenge the alpha in my pack, and I knew that I would constantly live in the shadows of those who could be considered my superiors. I would have lost my mind just as much if I'd have stayed in that pack, then if probability had stated if I had decided to leave. Better dying a free man, then dying a man who had lived his life constantly on his knees. To live beneath those who were stronger then himself, or those with a better bloodline then the one he carried. I couldn't have lived myself, had I been forced to live a life such as the one that most lived.Though right now, I could hardly argue that I lived under better circumstances then those lower in the ranks of most wolves. Nodding, I look around a little cautiously, hoping he wouldn't be stupid enough to do what I was thinking he might have done. "Where is your mate, did she make it out alright?" I had no proof, but I knew that it was unlikely that Kai would have left the Longhorn pack be for very long.
From what I could see eight men from the pack that I could recognise by spell, but I knew it had been bigger then this by at least another dozen. I only hoped the rate of casualties from everything that had probably happened wouldn't be too high. With a slight laugh, though it was slightly strained giving tell to the high levels of pressure under which the young beta was constantly under, he said with a smile which was forced. "She's fine, I sent her with a small force of wolves up north, as far away from this battle as I could possibly make her. She hated not being in the battle, but she understood. I would have tied her to a chair until it was finished if I absolutely needed to, I couldn't live with myself if she got hurt in this fight. Even if I will pay for making her sit this one out at a later date." He tells me, now unable to hide the proud smile which was making its way across the otherwise rather dark expression on his young face. I could have sworn that in recent weeks, he seemed older after everything that had happened.The man in front of my had aged since the last time I had seen him, and a greater amount of pain seemed to light his eyes.