Chapter 41: Finally Done

OMG MY BIRTHDAY TODAY!!!!! :D I LOVE MY BIRTHDAY. Enjoy xx

*********************************************************************

After everything the three of us had gone through, the travel from the secret meadow back to my house was nothing to Xeneya, Zenia and I. It was just getting light outside as we arrived back in my room and hid out Special Objects in our pockets, the dawn washing over us like a peaceful shower. Dew drops gathered on my window, slipping across the glass like transparent pearls, and the leaves rustled quietly outside as if whispering congratulations to us.

My watch beeped, signalling a full hour, and I glanced at it to check the time; 3 am, Wednesday January 10th. I shook my head in dispair; after saving the entire freaking world, we had school in 6 hours!

“We have school today!” Xeneya complained, reading my mind, and Zenia groaned.

“Seriously? After all that we went through?”

“Yep,” I confirmed, stepping around pieces of scattered clothing that had been whirled around as the three of us had arrived back in my room. My foot caught on the edge of my trash can and the tin crashed sideways, spilling garbage all over my already dirty floor. “Oh crud,” I muttered, just bending down to pick everything up when my mom barged into my room and glared at us.

“What are you doing in here, making all this loud noise?” she snapped, surveying the state of the room. “It looks horrible in here! Valentina Devonne, tell me what is going on this instant!

In normal circumstances, I would have been upset by my mother’s harsh tone of voice, but nothing about our situation was currently normal so when I raced towards her and threw my arms around her shoulders, Xeneya and Zenia didn’t question my actions. My dad, yawning and rubbing his eyes, appeared behind the doorway and I flung myself into him, squeezing him tight and inhaling his comforting smell.

“It’s so good that you’re back!” I breathed once I broke away, and my dad raised an eyebrow at my comment.

“Back? When did we leave?” he puzzled, and Zenia quickly jumped in before things got awkward.

“Valentina had a… a nightmare, where you two had left her,” she blurted and I squeezed her hand gratefully behind her back. However, my mom still seemed skeptical, and frowned at me, shaking her head.

“Why are you in our house, anyway?” she asked, gesturing to my BFF’s. “Fully clothed and so early, for that.” She mustered Zenia, who still had her strange tunic on, and raised an eyebrow at her interesting fashion choice.

“Um, we were…” I grasped in my mind for an excuse. “We were finishing a last-minute school project for… science!” I said briliantly, hoping I wasn’t blushing too hard.

“At three am?” my mom exclaimed, tapping her watch furiously. “You’ve got to be kidding me! Valentina, you are grounded for a week! And as for you two, I promise you that I will call your parents and give them a detailed account of what has occurred here this morning. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes mom,” (me).

“Yes, Ms. Devonne,” (Xeneya).

“Of course, Adriana,” (Zenia).

“Good. Now get to bed!” With those last words, my mom spun around and stomped back to her bedroom. My dad smiled at me and waved warily, yawning once more before he too disappeared from my room.

There was no point in changing, so the three of us crashed onto my large bed still clad in the clothing we had worn all day.

“Hey guys?” Zenia asked as we were at the brink of sleep. “One more thing. Could you guys lend me some normal clothing when we get up again?” I cracked a smile and poked her in the ribs.

“Sure thing, though I think that tunic looks great on you!” Xeneya joked, giggling.

“But seriously, you two. Thank you for saving me; well, and everyone else. Without you two, we wouldn’t be laying her right now.”

“No… problem,” I mumbled between yawns, clicking my alarm clock on and setting it extra early so my two BFF’s had time to go home and get their things before school started later that day.

***

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! I groaned and shut my alarm off, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes and sitting up. Zenia’s leg sprawled over my foot and I shoved it off, shaking the two of them awake.

“Guys, you have to get up and get ready for school,” I commanded, pushing them again as they refused to get up. “Guys!”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m awake,” Xeneya said, her voice muffled form under the sheets, and moments over Zenia opened her eyes as well. Within ten minutes they had gotten up, combed their hair and shuffled into their shoes, though they couldn’t be bothered to tie them. Zenia was still wearing the tunic, as she would be able to change when she got home, her pink converse contrasting with the dull beige of the wrap material.

“Bye, Val. See you in school,” Xeneya called, her and Zenia walking out of the front door.

“See ya,” I called down, sleepily throwing whatever I still needed into my school bag and pulling the zipper up. I slipped into jeans and a navy blue hoodie, wishing it wouldn’t be so cold despite the sun that was shining brightly today and the few clouds covering the sky.

I was just about to go downstairs when I saw a little scrap of paper on my desk; it was the paper with the poems on it. For a few moments I paused, simply staring at it, gulping heavily as I thought about the adventure I had just survived.

Then I crumpled it in my fist and threw it away, knowing that this was finally the end of my nightmares.

***********************************************************************

One more chappie left! Yay :D

Yuki xx