Chapter 14: Secretive

I'm about a quarter done with editing... YAY! Enjoy xx

*********************************************************************

I sped across the snow, relishing in the feeling of the wind whipping through my hair as I raced to the bottom of the slope. Once I was at the net that marked the ending of that passage I sat down on the blanket of white, getting comfortable as I would have to wait at least ten minutes before the two of them caught up to me.

Now, do you remember how I said my parents sucked at skiing? Well, that was how they were last year. Now they’ve gotten worse.

After five minutes I couldn’t even see their silhouettes and my stomach was rumbling hungrily after hours of skiing, yet there wasn’t a restaurant anywhere near, and I didn’t have any money with me anyway.

Well, I did have a way to get some food… My fingers trailed down to my pocket, sliding across the black surface as I looked around. Nobody was here, not a soul, so it wouldn’t hurt, would it? I pulled myself to my feet, stumbling at first as the lanky skis slapped the snow, but regaining my balance and making my way to a huge pine tree off to my right. Once I was safely concealed by its shadow I pulled my Special Microphone out and held it carefully in my hands as if it were the most fragile thing on earth.

I felt superior at that moment, as if I could take over the world.

Taking a deep breath, I thought of a tune and what to wish for, and once I was ready I began.

“There’s a muffin, warm and all for me on my hand desperately waiting to be eat’n,” I sang as quietly as I could, swaying to the melody of Adele’s ‘Rolling In The Deep’, and held out my hand for the muffin to appear on. A burst of light made my eyes clench closed as weight was added on my palm. After a few moments I opened my eyes and grinned proudly as I took in the big, warm blueberry muffin that stood on my right hand. A crease in the dough made it look as if it were smiling back at me, congratulating me on my (delicious) success.

After slipping my microphone back in my pants pocket I emerged from my hiding spot, biting into my prize when I realized my parents were now only a few meters away from me and would see the muffin. The one I got because of my powers.

The one my parents couldn’t know of.

I buried my mouth in the muffin, trying to force it down my throat, but I was only halfway done when the two of them reached me.

“Oh my god,” my mom panted, “this is so -.” She broke off to catch her breath. “Exhausting!”

“Did you wait long, Vallie? I hope you – “ my dad cut off when he saw the food. “Where did you get that from?”

“Um…” I trailed off nervously, not knowing what to say and grasping for an excuse. “It was…. In my pocket!” I exclaimed brilliantly and my father looked at me with an expression that was both confusion and surprise.

My parents must think I’m so weird.

After around four hours of torture, erm, skiing, the three of us were back at the hotel restaurant and I was delicately sipping hot chocolate, glad that we were done with the snow slopes for the day.

After I was done with my drink and my parents had drained the last of their coffee we made our way back to the room, though my dad had to stop by the basement to drop off the skis once more. Once we were inside the room I kicked off my shoes and grabbed my phone off the nightstand, texting my BFF’s about the muffin situation.

‘Lol’ came Xeneya’s reply, and soon the device was vibrating, notifying me of an incoming call. I checked the caller ID and pressed accept.

“I can’t believe you did that!” Zenia laughed as I pressed the phone to my ear. “Awesome!”

“Yeah, and my parents now think I have issues,” I muttered and Zenia continued chuckling and gasping for air.

“I’m getting a cramp!” she choked out, laughing uncontrollably.

“Come on, it’s not that funny,” I mumbled, blushing with shame.

“Okay, okay, fine. I’ve stopped laughing. But seriously, can you believe how amazing Fortuna Dea's palace is?”

I nodded, even though Zenia couldn’t see me.

“I know! With all the crystal and everything, it was so beautiful,” I replied dreamily. I can still see everything when I close my eyes. It’s as if the image is burned into my mind, reminding me anew of its brilliance.

However, Zenia and I didn’t dwindle on that topic for long; soon we were chattering about practically everything and anything until my dad came in, stone faced and speaking robotically.

“Valentina turn your phone off. Go to bed,” were his exact, sharp words before he turned and left the room, leaving me confused and more then a little worried. When does my dad ever call me Valentina? And why was he talking so strangely?

I checked my watch and read the date; the 29th. It really was the 29th of December already, which meant that I wasn’t dreaming that my parents and I were driving home! I’m so glad our skiing trip was over. All that skiing and waiting was seriously irritating, and I would have had more fun watching a tree sprout from the ground than go on that small vacation. Still, it was over now, so I could go back home and enjoy the rest of winter break.

“Baby, don’t you know what you’re doing to me? How you walk away like you just don’t care at all. Well now you better listen to me. ‘Cause baby you are Heartless! Heartless! Heatless!”

No! No, no, no, no, no!

I can’t believe this. I’m happy about something, and then my mom has to come and ruin it all by obsessing over James Telger and his terrible songs. I can’t believe I have to see him live! Two whole hours of that arrogant teenager… Why me?

I whipped my phone out faster than lightning, clicked the on button and plugged my worn-out headphones into it, waiting for the music to start as I got comfortable in the icy leather seat.

I realized I was staring at a black screen.

Oh please no, don’t let this be happening.

I held the power button and was devastated to see the no battery sign. Oh. My. God. Now I have to listen to J.T. for three freaking hours? I can’t believe this! I could honestly cry right now.

“Baby, don’t you know what you’re doing to me? How you walk away like you just don’t care at all. Well now you better listen to me. ‘Cause baby you are Heartless! Heartless! Heatless!”

Now my mom was singing to the music that was blasting out of the speakers, and even my dad was humming the melody, though his expression told me he didn’t really want to hear this music either. But you don’t ever argue with my mother about James Telger. You’ll leave the ‘conversation’ with a missing limb.

Even though I knew this, I couldn’t suppress a groan from leaving my mouth as I buried my head in my ski jacket and tried to ignore the terrible noise that my mom called music.

***********************************************************************

I wish the chappies would be longer! They’re all so short nowadays… :(

Yuki xx