Mend

The sunlight slaps me in the face. I squint my eyes and slowly open them, heat pouring onto my face. I cough out the dust and dry air, thirst already scratching at my throat.

  "We came from this way." Sonya says, pointing towards the building about a hundred feet away. The mountains are only a day away.

  I turn back to Aris and Sonya. She looks at the ground and Aris stands with his arms folded. "Let's go." I say and we set off.

----------------------------------------------------------------

  The Gladers sit in silence, backs pressed against the walls of the grocery store. Some of them are eating, some are asleep.

  My friends. They seem to be alive and well. Better than I am at least. My head still hurts and I feel like I will throw up. Something aches in my side. My hand travels up to my head where whatever hit me left a small hole, an inch deep but short across. Whatever it was must have been dug out and cleaned up.

  I drop my knife and it hits the concrete floor with a loud clatter. The Gladers snap their heads up, staring at Aris, Sonya and I as if we were ghosts.

  "Olivia?" Minho says, getting to his feet and walking over to me. "Oh my God! It's really you." He says.

  Everyone rushes over. They must have thought I was dead. The girls crowd Sonya and Aris while my friends examine me. Frypan brings me water and I chug it quickly.

  "What is all this bloody ruckus for-" Newt limps over, clearly awaken from sleep. His eyes widen as they land on me. "Olivia." He runs over to me, putting his arms around me, giving me the warming sense of security that only he can provide.

  He lets go and keeps his hands on my sides. He studies me, the hole in my head, the blood in my hair, the bruises everywhere. Tears form in his eyes. I look awful. His hand covers his mouth and he makes silent sobs into the palm of his hand.

  "Oh my God. What did they do to you?" He whispers, shaking his head.

  I don't respond, hating to repeat it.

  He turns away from me and looks at Aris and Sonya. "What did you bloody do to her?!" He yells.

  "Newt, please–" Aris says, holding his hands out in front of him.

  "Answer me! What happened to her? Did you do this?!" He walks over to Aris, but I don't stop him. My feet are frozen and all I can do is watch.

  "Get away from me." Aris says, pushing Newt away.

  "What did you do to her? Beat her? Raped her? Did you try to kill her?!" He screams, whole body trembling with rage. "I'll kill you if you did!"

  Minho and Frypan grab Newt and pull him back, Newt struggling against them. "Let go of me!" He yells at them. They pull him over and sit him against the wall, his entire body shaking and spazzing as he cries into his hands.

  Minho staggers over to me and quickly pulls me into a hug. "Glad to see you back kid." He says. He lets go and smiles. Frypan gives me a hug.

  "As much as I'm dying to know where you've been, you better go talk to him." Frypan says, tilting his head towards Newt.

  I don't disagree. I take no time to run over to him and sit down next to him

  "Hey," I whisper.

  His head shoots up, face blotchy and eyes swollen. "You're alive."