XI

Lauren stumbled past the bar, slamming down the tray with the broken glass next to Alexis, who stood talking to the barman, and pushed through the door into the circular area where Vera sat, scribbling on a sheet of paper. Vera raised her head and stared, but didn't move from her seat as Lauren rushed through, tearing the mask from her face, her breathing coming in great heaves.

Lauren felt the suit close around her skin as though it would squeeze her lungs and she would never breathe again. She swung the door open and entered the backstage area, near the kitchens. She stopped and tried to lean her hands on her knees, but the PVC had become hot and rigid; she began to fay it with open palms, tearing at the neckline, and in a quiet part of her brain she knew she was beginning to panic.

"Let me, let me," said Alexis, in a voice that tried to soothe. Lauren still tore at the suit, trying to reach the zip at the back.

"Get it off," she said, unable to find the cool metal of the zip that would release her.

Alexis unzipped the suit and opened it wide at the back, and Lauren felt the cool air on her skin as she doubled over and took several deep breaths.

"What happened?" she asked, taking a step round so Lauren could see her out of the corner of her eye.

"I don't know," Lauren lied. "I broke the glass and I panicked because he spoke to me."

"Who did?"

"The guy who walked into me."

Alexis laughed and Lauren looked up. "You mean the watcher?" asked Alexis.

"Do I?"

"The guy who bent down to help you pick up the glass?"

Lauren held the suit to her chest at the front as she stood upright, allowing the back to flap open, cooling the clammy sweat that had erupted on her skin. She nodded at Alexis. "Why do you call him that?"

"Because he never touches anyone. He never takes his clothes off. He just watches." Alexis flicked a hand in the air, "which is funny because all the escorts want to try him. He's gorgeous."

"How can you tell? You can't see his face."

Alexis gave Lauren a knowing look. "You can see enough. His nose and jaw. His mouth. Even his eyes if you're close enough. Don't tell me you didn't notice." She laughed. "You just ran out here like a crazy woman."

Lauren let herself slump against the wall.

"The escorts are always trying it on with him. It's hilarious, the way they rush about him when he arrives. And I've heard them talking about it. They actually want him to try and fuck them; but he never does. They say he's a European Prince who's unhappily married, but too afraid to cheat on his wife"

Lauren coughed to catch the laughter than had bubbled up in her throat. "What nonsense."

Alexis shrugged. "Maybe. Maybe not." She put a hand on Lauren's shoulder. "Let's get you out of these clothes, and then we can go home."

*

Henry pressed his feet into the floor, feeling the muscles in his thighs to harden as he forced himself upright. He watched as the barman cleared the broken glass from the tray and wiped it down. Henry took a few steps forward until he stood at the bar; the only customer.

The barman nodded, waiting for Henry to give his order. "What's her name?" he asked.

The barman tilted his masked head and Henry could see his eyes narrow as he shook his head slightly.

"Tell me. The girl who broke the glass. What's her name?" He placed his palms on the bar and leant forward, in what he hoped was a threatening manner; but still the barman kept silent. "I'll make it worth your while," said Henry, pulling out his wallet and dropping two fifty pound notes on the bar. He pushed it forward with one finger, but the barman just looked at it and pushed it back.