VI

"Open it then," said Tony, turning his body away from the Victoria's Secret box in case something unexpected popped out, but his eyes were wide with excitement.

Lauren rubbed her chin. "I don't really want to."

"Oh, come on."

She sighed and slid her fingers into the underside of the lid and flipped it open. She held her breath as she teased apart the tissue paper to reveal a red satin bra with black lace over the top, a matching thong and a suspender belt. There was also a pair of black stockings, wrapped up in the bottom of the box.

Her heart was beating so hard and fast that it felt as though it were lodged in her throat, making breathing nigh on impossible. She held the thong up in the air, pinched between her finger and thumb.

"Put it on," said Tony.

Lauren snapped round to face him. "What?"

"Don't you want to try it on?"

"Not really. We don't know where this came from."

"It came from the shop. It's not like you can't try it on."

Lauren didn't like the peculiar lift of his lips as he spoke; if he had been a dog he might have let his tongue loll right down his chin.

"I don't want to."

She folded the thong and placed it on top of the tissue paper. Tony snaked his arms around her and kissed the back of her neck. "Go on. Put them on," he whispered.

She shook her head, deliberately knocking his lips off course as they tickled her skin. "Drop it Tony. I'm not putting it on. It's creepy."

He turned her round to face him, continuing to dab her neck and shoulders with kisses.

"Tony-"

He groaned in response, his lips never leaving her skin.

"Cut it out. I don't feel like it," she said, pushing him away.

Tony took a step back, his chest rising and falling as he took a breath. "What's going on, Lauren? You've been acting strange all week."

"Nothing."

"Tell me," he said, reaching out for her.

"Really, nothing. I just don't feel like having sex with you tonight." It was bold, but she was glad she'd said it.

Tony held her gaze, and she felt him waiting for her to say something else. A moment later he nodded and bent to pick up his bag from the the floor of her bedroom.

"Where are you going?" she asked, stepping towards him.

"I think you need some space. I've been round here a lot recently." He shrugged and his holdall banged against his leg.

Lauren debated whether she should stop him, but had to admit that she wanted rid of him. Since they had slept together their relationship had become much more intense, and it was, for her, a definite case of too much too soon. Too much Tony. She wanted him gone.

She nodded and followed him to the front door, feeling an ache in her chest as she watched him adjust the strap on his back and rest it more comfortably on his shoulder.

"So I'll see you?" His voice had a twinge in it that made Lauren want to cry.

"Of course. After the launch party."

They exchanged a short goodbye kiss and Lauren wandered back through to her room, closing the door behind her. She sat on the bed letting her upper body slump, but found herself unable to relax knowing the underwear was still there, in the box.