XIV

Annabel's words stole the breath from his chest; he felt as though she had crushed his chest with a single blow. Could this girl want him so much that she would do this? He closed his eyes and sighed, hoping that when he opened them this whole episode would turn out to be a dream.

No such luck. She still stood before him, his phone in one hand. For several minutes neither of them spoke.

"Do you think I can't shut this down at every level? This story would never get out -"

"You can't control everything. You can't control the internet. Youtube. You can't have control over every journalist. It's not possible," she said. She was still wearing her work clothes; a woollen dress and knee high boots with dark tights.

Henry swallowed, desperately wishing he had a glass of water to quench his thirst. He knew he had to make a decision. How difficult would it be to sleep with her? Surely the choice she gave him was an easy one. His dignity, Lauren's privacy, for a quick fuck? It wouldn't take long, and Lauren would never have to know about the footage at all. She would never have to know about how he had slept with Annabel.

He looked Annabel up and down, taking in her skeletal frame and her pretty face, distorted by the evil she attempted to do. He pitied her, standing there trying to be brave. Doing the most daring thing she had ever done. And doing it because she had some kind of crazed crush on him.

"Don't think I won't do it," she said, as though she had read his thoughts. "I might not look much, but I'm not that weak. I'll expose you and your girl. She'll be disgraced. She'll never be anything but the girl in Henry Banville's sex tape. The disgrace will follow her for the rest of her life." Henry flinched his eyes shut, but still she continued: "People will whisper when they see her 'there goes the Duke's slut.' What a filthy whore.'"

"Stop it," he said, fighting not to raise his voice. Annabel had a peculiarly satisfied smile on her face. She had found his weakness and ripped it right open, and was now poking at the wound with a sharp blade.

"She would never forgive you if you ruined her like that. She would never so much as look at you."

Henry shuddered at the thought. To break the one thing that was so precious to Lauren? To destroy her reputation by refusing to be manipulated by this girl. Could he do it? Could he fight it another way, protect Lauren another way, without giving in?

"If I do this," he said, " you can no longer work for me. That's my condition. You give me the tape, every copy you have, and then you leave." He stared, watching as she thought it over.

"For the job as well I would want more than one night. And I would want references and for you to find me a new role, just as good, just as well paid, with someone else."

"One night. Tonight. Now. That's all I'm offering you. The rest I'll agree to."

"Now come -"

He clenched his teeth and said: "One night. That's my final offer. If you don't want it then you can leave right now and don't even think about coming back to work. No references. Nothing. And if the story leaks, I will seek revenge." He looked at her, his eyes full of hatred, and yet he still saw the desire she felt from him across her face.

Henry felt his body harden against her, and he wondered how he would ever be able to go through with it. But for Lauren, yes, he would do it for Lauren. It wouldn't take long.

He began to unbutton his shirt, watching her eyes widen as he revealed more skin. The lust in her eyes repulsed him, but he tossed his shirt aside and focussed on the reason he was doing it. He stepped towards Annabel, who placed his phone back on the dresser, and he pulled her into his arms, feeling how small and fragile she was. But she raised her lips to his and kissed him with a ferocity he had never anticipated. He felt her fingers running down his back, her nails scraping across his skin. She pulled her lips away and a small sigh, a satisfied ejaculation, escaped them. It was quiet, but it was enough. He pushed her away.