Chapitre Trois | Turn Up!

C H A P T E R  T H R E E

“Mom, I really need to talk to you about something important.” It was the last week of school, so my mom’s work was hectic. Since she was a college professor, she was trying to get it in as much as possible. “What is it, Cameron? I’m busy. You know how the school is.” My mom was writing so fast it looked like she scribbling random lines on paper. I shook my head, feeling annoying. “Sorry,” I mumbled under my breath. I walked back downstairs, hoping my dad wouldn’t see me. Even if he was going to apologize to me, I didn’t want to see him. It would escalate like always.

I half-jogged to the kitchen to make breakfast. I threw bread in the toaster, and then poured a glass of orange-flavor Jungle Juice into a tall cup. I kept it simple — anything that would get me out of this house faster. Plus, I wanted to get to school early so I can have more time to listen to music. When the toast popped out, I wrapped it in a paper towel and decided to eat it on the way to school. I thought I was going to leave scotch-free until my dad grabbed the back of my v-neck.

“So, you’re just going to leave home without speaking? How disrespectful!” Luckily, Dad let go of my shirt fast. I was just staring at me, confused if I should comment. I just kept going and grabbed my iPod out of my backpack. I scrolled through the music list and ironically, the only song that was saved from my dad’s deleting rampage was Band-Aid. Even though I didn’t want to start my day off on a sad note, MB made me happy anyways.

“I know I can’t take away the pain, but I could be your band-aid...” Prodigy’s voice was almost flying into my ears. The way his voice sounded was like it caressed the notes. It was smooth, and it made me imagine. What would life be like if my dad could just accept me the way I am and not what he wants me to be? It could only be a answer-less question for now. I took another bite of my toast, when I saw something that immediately caught my eye.

WIN TICKETS TO SEE MINDLESS BEHAVIOR! ENTER STORE FOR DETAILS.

I quickly looked at the time on my iPod. It was 7:32, so I knew I could sign up and still get to school in time. I jogged into the store, not even paying attention what store it was. Hell, it could be a liquor store and I wouldn’t have even noticed. I went to the counter to see an old lady stand in front of it. Her glasses were down to her nose and she had bright red hair. She looked like a knockoff of Suzanne Collins. She looked up at me slowly, and didn’t say anything. I decided to talk.

“I’m here to sign up for tickets to see Mindless Behavior,” I said politely, trying to be cordial. She just laughed at loud.

“You’re getting them for your girlfriend, right? If she wants them, she has to get ‘em herself-”

“No, no, no. You don’t understand. They’re for me.” The lady looked at me like I was insane. She turned around and I got a sight of her name tag - Betty. Betty turned around gave me the most disgusted look ever, like I was the rude one. “You know what? Just have the tickets. No one is gonna sign up anyways.” The lady threw the tickets at my face and I just decided to get on my way. No need to stay around anyways. Inside of my head, I was screaming at the top of my lungs. I finally got to see the boys— not on T.V., not on a poster, but real-life motion. The only things I was worried about is getting a ride. Of course my dad wouldn’t let me go, and my mom would definitely ask for permission. But of course I had to two tickets, and Veveeyn was a fan...

✧✧✧

“Cameron, are you being serious? You really got tickets?” Veveeyn was ecstatic. All I could do is smirk at the side of my mouth. Now that I had something that Veveeyn wanted, I could make her do whatever I wanted. “Pay fifty bucks!” I hollered, jokingly. “Fifty bucks, seriously? Are you out of your everlasting mind? I’m your BFF!” Veveeyn snatched the ticket out of my hand and began to run away zestfully. I would’ve chased after her, too, but the boys were coming in my direction, and I knew it was too late to hide.

Luckily, they were not coming towards me. They were going to the water fountain, which I was standing close by. As I walked through the halls, I heard more giggles and whispers.

“Surprisingly, Cameron is chasing after a girl!”

“At least it’s not after a boy like usual.”

I wanted to retaliate like usual, but I knew it wouldn’t be appropriate. Instead I kept walking down the halls with my chin up, not caring what anyone else had to say about it. “Hey Vev, are you still giving me a ride?” Veveeyn put her thumb up behind her head, so I knew it was official.

✧✧✧

“Cameron, where are you goin’ at this time of night?” My dad switched on the lamp and looked at me like I was psycho. “Uh... I’m going to see a friend.” I replied, thinking quickly. Dad raised his eyebrow. “I’m hoping that this friend is a girl, right?” This part would actually be truth. “Yeah, Veveeyn. I should be back about midnight or one-ish.” Without looking back, I ran outside into Veveeyn’s parked car. “You ready to turn up, turn up?” Veveeyn mocked Future’s voice. I laughed at her comment. Veveeyn turned on Bandz A Make Her Dance on her car’s stereo loudly. We were bumping the whole time.

“All these chicks clappin’ and they ain’t using hands!” Veveeyn quoted. All I could really do was laugh. Veveeyn acted high for 80% of her entire life span. “You said it’s going to be at the civic center?” Veveeyn asked. I nodded my head. “Well then, it looks like we’re already here.” I smiled like crazy. I was finally going to see Mindless Behavior in person. No posters, no T.V. This would be real and I could hardly believe it.