End of My Sanity

I finished hanging up the decorations Eve gave me. Pumpkins, signs, little orange lights. Even if it is dark already it's still nice to have some spirit. I step back to admire my work. I think it looks pretty damn good. Jimmy gave Esmeralda a ride to the nearest pay phone a little while ago. I don't know if this girl is legit or just observant but she is nice.

I watch Dot and Bette exit the big house. Dot looking especially angry. I catch up to them.

"Hey what's up?"

"Elsa won't let Dot rehearse and then Dot insulted her."

"Shut your trap!" Dot snaps.

"Hey hey. Calm down. Besides I thought we couldn't perform today anyway."

"A silly superstition. Elsa is rehearsing right now in that ridiculous outfit waiting for some man to arrive. Looks like a seaweed with makeup if you ask me." Geez Dot.

"Well she is the boss."

"It doesn't matter. I am the headliner."

"We're the headliner you mean." I correct. She scoffs.

"Please you do a silly dance and my sister just stands there like a confused mouse." Bette looks to the ground on the verge of tears.

"Look Dot, I get you have a nice voice but it isn't all about you. Besides its not your show. And Bette does a great job with back up vocals."

"Besides those men that were cheering were pawing after Hailey. Not us Dot."

"I don't care about those men. Jimmy saw me sing and he thinks I'm great. As long as that slut doesn't get in the way we'll be happy." Excuse me?

"I'm sorry? Kissing Jimmy once or twice does not make me a slut. For your information we just really get along." Her brown eyes narrow at me.

"I was talking about that bogus fortune teller." Oh. "You kissed Jimmy? And those freak bird feathers didn't get in the way?"

"Dot pleas-" Bette starts.

"We're done here. Just watch your back." She sneers. They walk away and Bette mouths sorry. Poor thing. She gets treated like crap all day. Her sister is a bully.

The music starts to play inside and I walk over to the tables again to sit.

Someone needs to put Dot in her place. She is jealous. I hope she realizes that with a personality like that she is lucky to get a disgusting pig too drunk to even know her name, let alone a guy like Jimmy.

I rub my temple with my fingers and sigh. I have a headache. I watch as green smoke starts to form near my feet.

"What the he-" I stop when I see a man in dark clothes and a hat appear for the shadows walking into the tent.

"Um I'm sorry we're closed." He turns his head slightly towards me. He stands there staring eerily. As if in thought. Another crazy. He starts walking toward me and I get up. I walk around to the other side of the table and walk backwards to my trailer. He continues to walk slowly. My heart rate quickens and I bump into another table. I turn around to avoid it and when I turn back he's gone. I take no second breath and hurry to my trailer. I shut the door behind me.

Who the hell was that? He dressed so old like and he was so odd. He must have been that guy Elsa was waiting for, but all that green smoke isn't that a bit dramatic? We get it you're all hoity-toity with your fancy antique suit and hat. I sigh and get ready for bed. I need to sleep. Halloween is fun but too much has happened today. I strip down out of today's clothes and lay in bed not bothering to change out of my undergarments or harness. Just in case I prop a chair against my door holding it closed. I get under the covers and rest my eyes.

It feels like hours when it's most likely only been one when I awake to the smell of blood and death that lingers in my nostrils. I scrunch my nose and slowly open my eyes. I scream at the sight.

A tall dark man with bulging eyes and an object like a hatchet sticking out of his skull. He doesn't say a word. Just stands there staring.

"My apologies fair one. We do not wish to alarm you." A voice says. The tall man steps back allowing that man from before to step forward bringing my useless attempt at protection with him. He sets the chair next to my bed and bows exposing the smirking face on the back of his head.

"Edward Mordrake? What are you doing in my trailer? I didn't summon you." I sit up covering my exposed bra with my blanket.

"It matters not who did the summoning. What matters is I have been summoned."

"Damn it Elsa. This is why we don't rehearse on Halloween." I curse.

"We are here to listen to your darkest shame." A faint whispering is heard.

"What is it saying?" I ask.

"We wish for you to share your shame in your current form. Please. It is how all must share." I nod nervously and bring my wings out setting my harness to the side. He stares at them in marvel.

"How unusual. Now your tale. Tell us your darkest hour." I sit and think. I know what it is. I just don't want to say it.

"Are you going to kill me after?" I need some reassurance.

"Depends if you move me." I sigh and stare at my hands in my lap.

"When I was in the children's home, I didn't like to talk to anyone. People called me names and bullied me because I was so quiet. They always wondered why I always wore long sleeves and jackets. My wings were bigger than my tiny childlike body and though I had the harness, it showed an almost lump on my back. I wore the sweaters to layer up and conceal it. One day I was just playing on the swings with myself and this boy shoved me straight off. He sneered and spit at me like I was garbage. Kicking wood chips in my face. I was so angry. So tired of being mistreated. It would've been better if I had parents. At least I'd have someone to talk to. Someone to cheer me up. I watched the boy run away to the jungle gym as the adults circled back around to where we were. Not that they were watching us anyways. I wiped my tears realizing no one would help me and I followed that boy up the ladder to the slide. I made sure he didn't see me. As he stopped to sit down at the slide, I pushed him. Straight down to that splintering ground. He broke his leg severely. I raced down back to the swings like nothing ever happened. I thought I would feel proud, but hearing that boy's cries for help made me feel terrible. The bone was past healing so it had to be removed. Every time I saw him, I felt worse and worse about what I did. But the worst part of it was when I pushed him, I had hoped the fall would kill him. I cursed myself for even allowing that thought to come across my mind, but I did." 

I feel the tears fall to my chin. The whispering starts again.

He reaches in his coat pocket and pulls out a hanker chief. He wipes the tears gently from my face.

"My dear do not cry my angel. I bid you sweet goodbyes. For not only your elegant features have left me speechless, but your moving tale. Goodbye sweet angel, fortunately you are not the one I seek to take with me." I sit motionless as he kisses my forehead and disappears.  I look at the cloth he left behind. White and probably made of very expensive material. This place is going to be the end of my sanity I know it.