09: Numb

09: Numb

          Elena and I sat on the porch as she explained everything. How Bonnie was a witch, who had amazing potential, and was descended from Emily Bennett.  I immediately recognized the name from a week or two before from when Care, Bonnie and I had been at Elena's and the night had ended with Bonnie walking out on us.  Elena confirmed my earlier suspicions that Bonnie wasn't in her right mind and that Bonnie had been possessed by her ancestor's ghost. Considering that I'd just found out that the creatures of the night were actually real, ghosts weren't that big of a surprise.  Now I was just waiting for werewolves to pop up.  Hell, even a werewolf-vampire hybrid wouldn't shock me at the moment. 

           Alongside the vampire bombshell, I'd found out that my mother was truly, officially dead. I don't know what I was thinking, holding out just an ounce of hope that maybe she'd just run off with someone.  How naïve. I was too numb to finish processing her legitimate death though.  If I let myself think of it for to long I wouldn't be able to move or even breath.  The one thing that I was fully processing was my anger towards Damon Salvatore.

            He wouldn't get away with murdering her. Not as long as I was alive.

            After she finished, I told her that I needed time to deal with all of the new info.  Elena understood and we parted.  When she went inside I pretty much just sat on the bench attempting to think of a place to go where I could just sit and try to accept my new reality.  I needed a silent, solitary place where I wouldn't be disturbed.  A slight smile crossed my face as I thought of a location.

          Twenty minutes later I was sat against a large oak tree in the Mystic Falls cemetery between Mildred Johnson, born 19 May 1897 and died on 28 July 1953, and Dorothy Snead, born 1 January 1895 and died 29 August 1918.  The silence was peaceful and consuming.

           I let out a shaky breath then focused on my Damon problem.  I didn't know much but what I knew should be enough.  Caroline had informed me via text message that the annual fund-raising bachelor auction was coming up.  She'd actually told me-- demanded, really-- to save up some money so that we could bit on the hottest bachelor, but that was beside the point. 

          Crack!  I swung my head as I scanned the cemetery. There was nothing there, just darkness. What the hell. This was like the beginning of a bad horror film. Slowly, I stood and approached where the sound had come from.  I knew that I should be frightened but I felt no emotion, I just wanted to see who, or what, made the sound.

          A blond head popped up from behind a bush, cursing angrily.  Startled, I stepped back and, unluckily, tripped on an upheaved root. My head hit the ground and black and white lights danced across my vision. 

          "Eleanor?" A deep, concerned voice sounded from the now blond headed blob. It took me a second to place the voice.

              "Matt?"

          "Oh my God. I'm so sorry. Tyler pushed me into a bush then disappeared," Matt explained, crouching down by my head. His fingers ran along my forehead, "Are you okay?"

            I cautiously sat up, still seeing tiny beads of light, "I'm fine. Just a bit alarmed." I rubbed the back of my head, "Why are you are Tyler in a graveyard at-" I glanced down at my non-existent watch before guessing at the time. "-Half past ten? That's a bit sketchy."

           The blond chuckled and sat down next to me, "I could say the same about you." Matt raked a hand through his short hair, "No, but to answer your question, it wasn't just me and Ty. It was a few of the guys from the team. Ty stole some alcohol from his dad's cabinet and we were just blowing off some steam."