03: High School Sucks

Disclaimer: Anything that seems familiar belongs to The Vampire Diaries. I only own Eleanor.

03: High School Sucks

      The first day at a new school is always the hardest.  Or at least that's what I've been told – by Ric.  Not the most credible source, but he is a teacher whose moved schools a few times. 

       Speaking of Ric, he'd dropped me off earlier a few blocks away from the school and let me walk the rest of the distance. He said, and I quote, 'Sorry Eleanor, but I don't want to look bad on my first day either so I gotta drop you off here. See you in class. Good luck, Kid.'  Great guy, that one. He was joking of course... he better be joking. If anything is going to make him look bad, it'll be himself.

      I glanced around as I stood alone by the picnic tables perched on the front lawn, packed with my new classmates.  These kids have probably known each other since they were in elementary school.  It might be difficult to find friends if this school was as 'cliquey' as my last. Well, at least I'll have one friend. If she ever gets here that is.

      What time did Caroline say to meet? Did she even say a time? I sighed and glanced at my cellphone screen to check the time then put it back in my jacket pocket before returning my nervous gaze to the picnic tables.  With everyone looking so happy and cheerful it made me feel like a super gloomy person.  Gosh, where was she?

      Suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder. That must be Caroline. Finally! I spun around with a big grin plastered on my face only to find a young man with honey colored blond hair and sky blue eyes in front of me.  He was pretty hot.  His eyes were so blue; I could totally just stare into them forever.

      "Elena, I've been calling you for the past five min – oh," the boy paused mid-sentence. "You aren't Elena. I'm sorry."

      A light pink blush rose to his pale cheeks, making him look even more adorable than he already was.  He seemed absolutely mortified.

      "It's fine," I replied with what as hopefully a charming smile, "I'm Eleanor."

      "Matt Donovan," he smiled, his cheeks still tinged with pink that was just beginning to fade. "I'm so sorry. I thought that you were my girlfr – friend, my friend Elena."

      "It seems that I look like quite a few people in this town," I thought aloud. "First with Caroline Forbes' best friend and now your 'friend', Elena."

      Matt smiled, running a hand though his short hair, "Ah, you already met Caroline. Good to know. I hope she didn't scare you off."

      "Not yet," I said with a small laugh.

      "Just so you know, Elena is Caroline's best friend so you only look like her," he informed me while yanking on his backpack stings to make it tighter.

      "That's good to know," I smirked. Glancing down at my schedule, I noticed that I had no idea where I was supposed to go since Caroline was supposed to be my guide. I smiled up at Matt, "So, Matt Donovan. I've got no one here to be my tour guide, would you mind helping me find my first class, since Caroline's gone AWOL?"

      "Sure," he replied with what appeared to be a genuine smile. "Who do you have?" He questioned, peaking at my schedule.

      "History," I answered, letting my eyes scan the small, rectangular paper. "It says Mr. Tanner."

      Matt stiffened at my words, making me nervous that I might have offended him, "What is it? Did I say something...?"

      "No, no," Matt said slowly, taking a breath. "He was killed in an animal attack earlier this month.  He was the football coach so I – uh - knew him pretty well."