05: Wreckage

Disclaimer:  Anything that seems familiar belongs to The Vampire Diaries. I only own Eleanor.

05: Wreckage

          The following day, Caroline and I were lounging in her room talking about the previous nights events and how strange they were when I received a phone call from Elena.  She spoke quickly and quietly, telling me that Bonnie was fine and everything that happened was just a prank on Caroline. I didn't buy it, but Caroline did. After I hung up, the blond beauty went on a rant about how horrible it was for the Bennet girl to fake being a witch then scare the crap out of us.  Caroline also said that she would, and I quote, "Never speak to the little brat again!" I had to hold back my laughter when she shouted that.  Eventually though, maybe three or four hours later, she made up excuses for Bonnie and forgave her.  I wasn't so easily forgiving... or accepting. 

            Bonnie didn't seem like the type of person who'd pull such a crude joke just to get back at Caroline for being 'so uptight over the necklace'.  Being the daughter of a folklore enthusiast, I was turning to the supernatural for an explanation. After all, Bonnie did say she was a witch...

            I managed to avoid both Elena and Bonnie throughout most of the week, that is, until Caroline told me about the event happening at the high school later that night.  As soon as we stepped foot onto school grounds Elena appeared out of thin air and began walking with us, apologising to me for everything.  Apparently she'd already apologised to Caroline earlier in the week.  I just smiled and said that it was fine.  Once we were inside, Elena disappeared and Care and I just walked the halls, our arms linked.

            "What's with you this week?" the blond questioned, giving me a disappointed look. "Why have you been avoiding Elena and Bonnie? They said sorry about the whole prank thing! And Elena even apologised again outside and you just brushed it off."

            "I just don't buy the whole, 'it was a prank' thing," I answered, attempting to shrug my shoulders. "I don't like being lied to Care, and I have a gut feeling that their hiding something."

            The normally peppy girl groaned, "Elle! You're way overthinking it. You should give them a chance! They're really sweet when you get to know them, and they've been nothing but nice to you!"

            I sighed.

            "The prank wasn't even meant for you! It was on me, and I've already forgiven both of them! You should, too."

            "Maybe I have been a bit hard on them..." I answered reluctantly, unlinking our arms.

            "I'm glad we agree. Promise me you'll apologise to Elena," she firmly said.

            "Fine! I promise.  Anyway, where did you disappear to earlier?" I asked my best friend as we continued roaming the hallways, looking for any career that would peak our interests. "I waited for you so we could walk to lunch together and you never showed."

            Caroline tilted her head sideways, "I have no idea. I must have just wandered off..."

            Arching an eyebrow, I stopped and crossed my arms, "Care!"

            "Oh look! There's my mom, I'm gonna go tell her about my future in broadcast journalism," the blue eyed beauty winked at me before heading over to her mother and dragging her to the broadcasting booth. 

            I shook my head before continuing down the hall, glancing into different rooms as I walked.  Spotting Ric emerging from his class, I darted the closest room which just happened to hold Matt and Elena. They looked cosy.  I could faintly hear their conversation about Elena and the mysterious Stefan Salvatore. Whoever this kid was, he must not like school because I hadn't seen him one time the entire week.