Glint of Hope in the Dark

My head pounded as I opened my eyes. I squinted as I tried to see through the sunlight filtering into the room. I lifted my head then let it rest on the pillow again pulling the blanket over my head. I groaned in realization of the fact that I was completely naked. And apparently hungover. That meant... yeah I had sex. And the worst part is that I didn't remember a goddamed thing.

"Hey," Sam said so I peaked out of my covers.

He held out a coffee mug. I sat up keeping the blanket wrapped around me and took the mug.

"I would've preferred a beer," I said.

"You don't need another beer."

I groaned and set the mug on the table beside me. Sam tossed me my oversized sweatshirt and sweatpants. I slid out from under the covers and put them on before laying back on the bed. The bed shifted as Sam sat beside me.

"We don't have to do anything today, right?" I asked him.

"Not that I know of," He replied.

I sat up and wrapped my arms around him then put my face into his chest.

"Good because I don't plan on doing anything," I said, my voice muffled by his shirt.

"I figured as much."

Sam rested his chin on top of my head and rubbed my back.

"Why can't we do this all the time?" I asked softly.

"Because that's not the life we live."

"I know. It's just sometimes I wish I could be normal... I couldn't be normal if I tried."

He nodded slightly like he understood and I know he did.

"I love you," He told me.

I lifted my head until our noses touched.

"I love you too."

"Hey we have a case!" Dean yelled. "Put your clothes on and get out here!"

¤¤¤¤¤

"I can't believe I had to put clothes on," I complained.

"You're wearing jeans and a t-shirt, how bad can it be?" Sam asked.

"Horrible."

"I highly doubt that."

"Guys seriously. Talk about not wearing clothes later. Like when we're not around." Dean said pointing to Kirsten and himself.

"What are we even doing here anyway?" I asked. "Three people getting stabbed to death in a week isn't our kinda thing."

"Trust me it is," Kirsten said.

"What makes you think it is?"

"I just... know it is."

"Very solid explanation, K."

¤¤¤¤¤

"I told you this is just a normal serial killer. You can stop trying to find something that isn't there now." I growled again.

Sam was half heartedly looking for leads on his computer while K and Dean were looking through books. I, of course, was sitting around complaining. That didn't suprise anyone.

"I think we should go look at some old newspapers in the library to see if there are any other cases like this in the past few years." Kirsten suggested. I assumed 'we' meant her and Dean.

They did end up going to the library but what they went to do wasn't really clear. Sam kept researching on his laptop for another hour or so. He eventually closed the lid with a sigh.

"I think you're right." He told me.

"Of course I am."

"C'mon."

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

I followed him out and down the road. There was a quiet little forest next to a lake that Sam had brought me to. I leaned my head against his arm as we watched the peaceful lakeside. I could've stood there for hours.

Sam shifted a little and I looked up at him. I swear he was blushing a little. He turned to face me and took both of my hands into his. He got down on one knee and my heart started to pound. He opened a box with a diamond rig inside of it.

"Dakota Grace Riddle, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"

"Yes," I said, my voice shook slightly.

He slid the ring onto my finger, the diamons glittered in the sun. He then picked me off my feet as he stood up and kissed me.

"I love you, Sam," I said breaking the kiss.

"I love you too, Kody."

I wanted to keep hugging him and never let go. Sam's phone started to ring so he set me back on the ground and answered it with a frown.

"We'll be there in a minute."

He waited a few seconds before hanging up.

"That was Dean wasn't it?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yeah, he's not happy that we aren't in the motel room."

I nodded and we walked back to the small little motel. I kept my right hand intertwined with Sam's left as we entered the room.

"Oh my god!" Kirsten squealed not even ten seconds after we entered the room.

She ran to me and practically tackled me in a hug.

"I knew this was going to happen!" She screamed in my ear.

Dean was defiantly confused as to why Kirsten was acting this way. Well until I used my free right arm to hug Kirsten back, still clinging to Sam's hand.

"Nice," Dean said.

I gently pushed Kirsten away from me.

"Too much social for one day," I said. "I'm taking a nap."

"You haven't even done anything social," Kirsten told me.

"Yes I have."