Awkward

It’s 11:15 AM, aka Byun Baekhyun’s favourite time of day.

11:15 means choir, and choir means one full hour of Kim Jonghyun.

Kim Jonghyun, as in, the boy who is more suited to be Baekhyun’s boyfriend than anyone on this earth.

Jonghyun transferred to the school at the beginning of the year. Apparently, he was a legend at his old school, one of the best arts high schools in the country. He came here on account of his mother, the school’s new tiny (but sort of scary) math teacher.

It didn't take long for Jonghyun to become popular. He was funny, likeable, and super good-looking. Plus, he had a voice that was bound to make him famous one day.

Baekhyun was just one of many that had fallen under his charms. It didn’t matter if it was boys or girls, Freshmen or Seniors, Kim Jonghyun had captured their hearts with his stupidly perfect smile. 

Baekhyun, however, considers himself luckier than the rest. For an entire hour, he got to sit right next to him, got to smell his amazing cologne and on good days, their arms would brush. The sad truth to the matter though, was that Baekhyun had said about five words to the guy in the entire three months he’d sat next to him.

Today, Baekhyun tells himself, is the day. He spent an extra twenty minutes on his hair this morning just to get ready for this moment. He’s going to talk to Kim Jonghyun. And he’s going to make him fall in love with him, gosh darn it.

He opens the door the choir room slowly. It’s about half full and everyone is talking amongst themselves in a flurry of voices. He sees Jonghyun sitting in his seat, fiddling with his phone. Right next to him is an empty seat. Baekhyun’s seat.

He approaches more cautiously than he normally does. Usually, he slips into class mere seconds before the bell rings so he has no time to even worry about anything. But today, he skipped his stop at the snack machine. He feels like he’s going to die of hunger, even though lunch is next period, but it’s all worth it. He hopes.

He checks his breath because Oh, my god how embarrassing would that be and then makes sure he’s not breathing too hard and then straightens out his jacket but it’s a lost cause because no one, no one, can make these uniforms looks good.

Except for Jonghyun, of course.

He slides into his seat and he’s got the words ready on his tongue (‘Hi, Jonghyun-ssi, how are you?’) but they kind of get stuck there and now he can feel Jonghyun looking at him but he can’t open his mouth and he turns away, pretending to look for something in his bag when he’s really berating himself for being such an idiot.

It’s not like Baekhyun is bad at talking to cute boys. He’s had enough boyfriends in the past to reassure him that he wasn’t a complete fail when it came to dating (well, aside from his little… problem), so he wonders why the hell it’s so hard to function properly around Kim Jonghyun.

Tomorrow, he tells himself. Tomorrow, he will talk to Kim Jonghyun.

Except fate (or something) has other plans.

“You’re early, today,” Kim Jonghyun says and Baekhyun blinks, hands still roaming aimlessly around his bag. He turns towards the owner of that beautiful voice and he’ s smiling at him and Baekhyun wonders what he did right to deserve such a wonderful thing.

“Uhh… yeah…” he says, immediately wincing how dumb he sounds.

Jonghyun chuckles. “You didn’t get your cookies, today.”

That’s it. Baekhyun has completely lost all coherency. He doesn’t know what to say. Thankfully, Jonghyun continues.

“Every day you rush in, and you throw away the empty bag,” he explains. He’s still smiling and he’s got a glint in his eye that makes Baekhyun think he might be making fun of him.