BaekYeol. Moment like this

They’ve been together for a long time, Chanyeol realizes. 

He’s rarely reflective, but there’s something about sitting alone at a table for two, about the dimmed lights, about the shadows from the flickering candlelight dancing over the off-white linen tablecloth, about the low murmur of cordial conversation and faint tinkles of silver on china in a fine dining setting.

About waiting for Baekhyun for their anniversary dinner. 

They say that time runs more quickly with each passing year. The added seconds, minutes, days, months, years, the added extensions of existence make each finer moment a smaller moment within the grander scheme.

And Chanyeol supposes they’re right. He hasn’t really noticed how they’ve comfortably slipped into their sixth year, how their sixth month anniversary didn’t seem that long ago, or how they’ve spent the better part of decade together. 

The better part of half a decade. His eyebrows lift slightly as he leans back heavily, back thudding against the black leather upholstery. Somehow, that makes Chanyeol feel old.

            (But really, he’s still only 27.)

~o~

Their first meeting doesn’t feel like it happened just yesterday. But it doesn’t feel like 6 years ago.  Or more than 312 weeks ago. Or more than 2,184 days ago. 

And really, it came out of nowhere.

Hey you’re not seeing anyone right now right? Kyungsoo nonchalantly asked, plucking at the grains of rice in his metallic bowl.

Chanyeol paused with a particularly large scoop of steaming bibambap halfway between his face and his bowl. No...uh...why? 

Just wondering. 

Uh...okay. Chanyeol began to move the spoon towards his mouth again. When it was just about to pass his lips, he stopped and frowned, lowering the spoon. You know I just like you as a friend. 

Not that, Kyungsoo pretended to throw up. Who would want to date you anyway?

Ouch. Chanyeol began to move the spoon again.

Actually... Kyungsoo muttered, staring off into space. Actually...

Chanyeol waited for a good minute, watching the steam emitted from his scoop dwindle. Actually...what?

I have this friend. 

Whoa, Chanyeol lowers his spoon and asked sarcastically. You have friends? 

Kyungsoo ignored Chanyeol, He’s just moved into the area, and he’s single too.

Not interested. Chanyeol shoved the scoop of bibambap into his mouth.

Just meet him once.

Not interested.

He lives close, just talk to him for five minutes. I think you’ll like him; he’s a really awesome guy.

No me interesa. 

What?

Oh yeah you took French, huh. Uh, let’s see, Chanyeol flopped his head to one side and waved his spoon. Je ne suis pas...interested. 

At the rate you’re going, you’re going to die single.

Like you’re one to talk. 

Hey, I don’t have four volumes of ‘Cooking for One!’ 

Well you should, because it’s fucking efficient, Chanyeol snorted.

And I haven’t been living on single-serving packages of instant ramen. 

No regrets, that shit is delicious.

And I’m not the one that’s been going steady with my hand for 20 years.

Chanyeol dropped his spoon. Okay that was low. 

Kyungsoo shrugged. Prove me wrong then.

Fine, give me his fucking number. Chanyeol groaned. 

Even better, I’ll give you his address.

But I’m going to look fucking creepy.

Great, showing your true colors.

Why am I friends with you again? 

You’ll thank me for this later.

Chanyeol really didn’t like that smirk on Kyungsoo’s face as he ripped off the corner of the napkin neatly and extended it out to Chanyeol like some sort of prize.

I’m doing this for you, not because I think my social life is pathetic, got that? Chanyeol sulked as he snatched the scrap. He glanced at the name, ‘Byun Baekhyun,’ before he jammed the address into his pocket. And no guarantees I’ll even talk to this guy. 

Whatever, Kyungsoo dismissed Chanyeol with a knowing smile. Just make me your best man if and when you guys get married.