Chapter 31 - Moon Called

Chapter 31: Moon Called:

  And how exactly was I spending my Friday night, the night before the full moon? Watching random television of course. The only person in the house who seemed to think like me of course had suggested it; Rayne had to be the best brother in the world. But Tristan didn’t seem to agree with that point.

  “This is pointless… we’re just sitting around here doing nothing.” Tristan grumbled from his spot on the couch, feet propped up on the table.

  I peeked up at him from under the covers I had constructed into a fort in front of the TV, “No, correction. You are doing nothing; me and your brother here have constructed a pillow-topia,”

  “Pillow-topia?” he scoffed looking at me like I was insane. He’d be mostly right. I mean here I was, the person who went crazy when preparing for a test, playing with pillows when I had a life or death exam only tomorrow. But stressing out about it was doing me no good, I’d almost snapped at Mrs. Everdeen when she asked if I wanted dinner, saying ‘did I look like I wanted dinner?’. So I figured I’d let Rayne take over and get my mind off things like that for awhile, and this is what we came up with.

  “Yep,” Rayne chipped in, from under a canopy of blankets between the couch and table, “But I thought we decided to call it a Cushion-opolis?”

  I smacked my hand to my forehead, “Duh! Sorry I forgot,”

  “You two have the minds of two year olds…” Tristan grunted, flipping the channel.

  “And you have the tone of a grumpy old man,” I retorted, scouring for the popcorn bowl hidden somewhere in the big mess. Of course there were pieces of it everywhere, but the bowl where it had all originally been contained in had disappeared.

  He snorted and preceded in flipping another channel, “Why are you even in the living room if you think this is pointless?” I asked, popping a piece of chocolate from the bowl of that we had around here, into my mouth.

  When he didn’t answer and avoided even looking at me, I sighed and picked up the chocolates. Standing up myself so I could tiptoe over to the couch unscathing the fort, aka ‘Cushion-opolis’, I hopped into the seat next to him. “Chocolate?”

  He looked at me, and for a moment I saw a distant look in his eyes with a hint of a deep sadness farther in the silver discs, before they snapped back to their original sarcastic gleam as he winced, “I hate chocolate.”

  My mouth feel open, the bowl hanging in between us limply, “You. Hate. Chocolate?”

  “Yep.” Another channel switch, “It’s true,” Rayne chimed in again from beneath the covers and pillows.

  “Are you even human? Who doesn’t like chocolate?”

  “Well—there’s the people who are allergic to chocolate, the ones that don’t like sweet thing, the ones who don’t eat at all—and me.” Tristan gave me a dry smile, while switching channels away from a lady who was speaking in a loud, whiny voice instructing the watchers how to make a birthday cake for a seven year olds birthday, “But just in case, last time I checked, I’m not really human, now am I?”

  “Ha ha,” I replied monotonously.

  “Stop worrying over chocolate anyway, we have much bigger things on our plate than chocolate…” he growled, picking up the bowl promptly and placing it on the table on the other side of him before I could snatch it back.