33 | Eavesdropping

33 | Eavesdropping

-----------------------------

HARRY

-----------------------------

If Modest! knew anything about what exactly is happening with our lives and how we spent our break time, we'd be dead. Even if there weren't any stories on tabloids and the news, this would still be huge risk. Saving the world from blowing up in the hands of an ex-convict? Sounds like a usual story, isn't it?

Yeah, unless they'll ever get the chance to publish it if the world does blow up.

Sheila had parked the cargo in a huge empty lot near the house. She said it still belonged to Franz and it was her mum's old garden (well, sensitive topic). Louis, Niall and I were there to get our things, and hopefully no one was paying attention to us since the place was very open.

Louis suddenly nudged me. "Hey, you think Zayn would survive?"

I sniggered. "They're probably snogging in the kitchen."

"Or Sheila holding a butcher's knife and fighting hard to resist the temptation to kill him," Louis said.

"Have some faith in the girl," I said. "She doesn't seem so bad anymore."

"Uh, I still don't get the story here," Niall suddenly spoke up from behind us. "What exactly is so relevant between Zayn and Sheila besides getting on good terms?"

"Oh, Nialler," I patted his back and then reached for my duffel bag. "Do you really wanna know? Younger brothers do a lot of reverse psychology."

"I'm not three."

Louis pinched his cheek, making the Irish lad slap his hand away. But Louis just smiled like Niall gave him a kiss. "Of course you're not. You're just too young to know," he teased.

"I'm older than Harry!" he protested and I laughed, stuffing my duvet inside the bag.

"Everyone knows that – it's just that...you really are just too young," Louis insisted, pinching his cheek again.

"Stop that!" Niall pushed his hand away and Louis laughed. "The two of you are so bad! I'm gonna ask Sheila instead!"

He was about to walk away when Louis grabbed the hoodie of the blond's jacket. "Do you wanna risk your life way before you even get close to that Red-guy?" he asked, serious this time.

Niall pouted and crossed his arms, letting out a heavy sigh. He went back inside the cargo and went for his duffel bag on his bed, putting some of his things inside. "Why don't the two of you just cut the chase and tell me instead?" he asked. "Because I seriously would call Sheila if you don't tell me anything."

I stopped from my work and looked at Louis, who was also looking at me. There was an apprehensive look on his face and before I could tell Niall anything, he was the first one to talk.

"Zayn likes Sheila."

Niall stood up straight, stopping from his work and cocked his head to the side. The unfinished-folded blanket was still in his hands. "Well, that's old news," he said. "Is that all?"

"You won't take that in reverse psychology, will you?" I asked him and he snorted.

"Please," he said. "It's apparent with Sheila, too. Did you see her reactions with Franz's jokes earlier?"

"Like she's afraid of him knowing something," Louis smirked. "The bad girl's caught – by the Bradford bad boy."

"Wow, that sounded a lot like a probable relationship," I said, closing the zipper of the bag and putting it on my shoulder. "Except that Zayn isn't really a bad boy."

Louis also put his own duffel bag on his shoulder and Niall was bringing his and Zayn's. We got out of the cargo and made sure it was locked as we walked back inside the house.

"Maybe they're kissing," Louis said mischievously.

"Or Zayn's shrieking in extreme pain," I shrugged, opening the door as we got inside.

"What else do you really wanna know, Malik?" Sheila's irritated voice erupted from the kitchen and we made sure we were in tip-toes while walking to the living room.

"I wanna know what you meant by you lied, Lockhart," we heard Zayn answer, his voice strained. "And please don't make up some excuse or lie. I just want to know the truth and that's it – I'll stop bugging you."

"I told you – face disappointment," she said and we heard a loud clank of a knife on the slicing board. I winced. "I don't have to explain anything to you and you don't have to know anything," she continued. "That's final."

"I still say it's not and you're hiding something," he insisted. "And I'm getting the feeling here that everyone knows and I'm the only one left who doesn't. Just tell me, Sheila – what do you mean you lied?"

"For the last time, Zayn – nothing," she said, her voice shaking in anger and we pushed ourselves upstairs quietly, still listening to them intently. Just in time, she and Zayn got out of the kitchen and in the living room. "There's nothing. Do you want me to say it in other languages for you to understand?"

"Oh, really?" he asked, balling his hands into fists and the three of us positioned ourselves in the shadows, sitting on the stairs and watching their argument. "Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, too – but I am not dropping this matter."

Sheila looked like she was about to attack Zayn in a split second and stopped herself by breathing deeply and walking back in the kitchen. Zayn was about to follow her when she suddenly said, "Don't follow me. Your little friends are listening."

Oh no. Of course she'd caught us.

Zayn immediately snapped his head to our direction and we clambered inside one of the rooms that were nearest to us. Just with our luck, it happened to be the guest room and not anybody else's (like Sheila's or Franz'). I sighed in relief, putting down my bag on the floor as Niall practically threw his and Zayn's to a corner, making a loud thud. Louis put his on an empty bed.

"Are you interested in dating Franz?" Niall suddenly spoke up and we looked at him.

"Which one of us?" Louis asked, pointing a finger to himself then to me.

"You," the blond said, looking at me and I raised my eyebrow. What the heck made him think that? "Well, it's just a thought," he quickly added, seeing my expression.

"I'm not up for dating any ex-spies in the moment, thanks," I said, plopping myself down on a bed. "Sheila's already enough." Enough trouble.

"But Franz has a far different personality than Sheila," he said, sitting down beside me.

"And I don't wanna talk about things like that right now," I said with finality in my voice, pulling out my phone from my pocket and opening it to see any messages. "Franz is nice...but we're in the middle of saving the world here. I don't think dating anybody would make it the situation any better."

"Just a thought," Niall shrugged.

"And the girl reminds me of you," Louis said.

I looked up at him, bringing my phone down. "In what way?"

"In many ways that I can't really explain," he said, pursing his lips. "Plus, her smile reminds me of a cupcake version of you. And she has this cute little dimple at her cheek when she smiles or laughs."

"Yeah," I said, staring at him blankly. "So...?"

"Probabilities, you know," he said, sitting down on the bed where he put his bag. "Maybe you'll get next in line with Sheila and Zayn."

I frowned, sitting up. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"How about...we save the world first before we find the answer for that?" he grinned sheepishly.

"That's sounds like a better idea," I said, snorting a bit.