Chapter 13- Cold and Bitter

Ok guys so I know this is a really long time coming, but I hope you enjoy it!

CHAPTER 13

Far away, in the Easter bunny's warren, lights flashed green and blue in the sky, and the Easter Bunny thumped his foot on the ground twice and vanished.

****

JACK POV

A hole opened up on the floor of North's workshop and Bunny hopped out, rising to his full height. His green eyes shone brightly and he had his hand tensed near his boomerang, ready to fight if necessary.

"What's the problem, mate?" an Australian accent called out quizzically to North. I stepped out from behind North.

His eyes narrowed, "And Frostbite."

I nodded my head, diplomatically, unable to resist the urge to one-up him, and replied, "Kangaroo."

North just glowered at us both and said, "Bunnymund. We need your help. There is a new spirit- Aurora. She saved Jack before she died, which made her what she is, but Pitch has...ummm...kidnapped her."

"What do ya mean by umm, North?" Bunnymund said suspiciously.

I cut in here replying, "Well, she went willingly, but I think he has enthralled her somehow."

"What!?" Bunnymund exploded out, "So you're saying you let go a potential ally in our war against Pitch! That somehow choose to go with him! Did it ever occur to one of you to, I don't know, stop her?"

I started to get very irritated at him. As if I could have stopped her! Should I have also locked her up somewhere to keep her safe, I suppose?

"Don't you think I would have stopped her if I could have!" I shouted at him.

"Oh, touchy subject there, isn't it?" Bunnymund narrowed his eyes and said, "You don't fancy her, do you?"

"Fancy?"

"Have a liking to. Be enamored with. How many ways can you say it?"

"That's none of your business!"

"No, but it's funny as hell watching you pine over someone!"

I shook my head, exasperated. "Pine? Please speak English!"

"I am! Pine-Different word but still the same meaning as fancy."

"How can you even tell?"

"Oh! An admission of guilt. Finally!" he declared triumphantly.

He must have seen the murderous glint forming in my eyes because he said, "Just your whole demeanor. You look and act like a lovesick puppy."

I tried to deny it saying, "Am not!" but it lacked any force behind it. I mean, c'mon! I barely knew her!

"But anyways, this whole conversation is off topic. We should be focused on getting her back!" I fumed at them.

Bunnymund looked serious for once and said gravely, "What if she doesn't want to come back? Are WE gonna be the ones to kidnap her? I mean, I'm sure she's great, but Pitch has a way of....corrupting people."

I opened my mouth, then closed it, unsure of what to say. For some reason the thought never occurred to me, but now my inner voice was mocking me.

So you thought you would just walk in and she would come running into your arms? You? Even though, as far as she knows, you are just a random guy she just met? Since when is anything ever that easy?

Shut up! I screamed at myself. Oh great, now I guess I'm going crazy. Talking back to myself, being obsessed with a girl I barely know. What's next? I thought sardonically to myself.

"I....I guess I hadn't thought of that. But we still have to try at least, right? I mean the worst that can happen is she stays with....Pitch," I said, choking on the last word. It tasted vile in my mind and the other thoughts that came with it were worse. Like- why would she go with him? And why does he seem to have some weird, perverted feelings for her?

"I guess, mate, but I really hate seeing you so broken up over her. If she stayed, I wouldn't know what to do with you," Bunny said in a rare moment of compassion.

I fidgeted from side to side, uncomfortable with this whole conversation. I wanted to do something. I wanted to fight. And more importantly I wanted to wipe that smug smile off of Pitch.

"Well can't we go now? I mean, what are we waiting for?" I asked impatiently.

North and Bunny both looked at each other and North said, "I guess nothing. But we should have a plan."

"Oo! I got one. Step 1- Go in. Step 2- Get Jane. Step 3- Leave. What else would we have to do?" I said quickly, hoping to end this chat and go.

"Uhhh....for starters how do we find the place?" Bunny said, letting a hint of condescension slip in his voice, as if it was the most obvious question in the world,

I pursed my lips slightly. Maybe I should think this through a little more, but instead I replied, "We need to DO something. Who knows what he could be doing to her!"

North began to talk slowly to me, saying, "But Jack. If we just rush in blindly and with no plan and wind up trapped or worse, what good are we to her? Besides, you are human now. And we don't know how hard it would be to kill you. I doubt any of us wants to find out."

"Oh, I don't know about that. I could take a crack at him," Bunnymund muttered.

North ignored him and continued, "You need to stay safe. You were created for a purpose and if you were to die, we don't know what would happen to the world. And until we can turn you back, you need to stay put."

I exploded into a rage, "Stay put! I'm not staying here! That girl DIED for me! I can't just leave her! I owe her my life..." I whispered out the last part, leaving the thought unfinished.

North began to grow upset, and you could see he was trying to hold back his anger for my sake, "But do you think she would rather you go off and kill yourself on some moronic rescue mission!"

I opened my mouth to reply, but he cut me off, "No. Just don't even answer that. The answer is no. NO ONE would want someone to do that for them. No one."

I howled my frustration at them, running my fingers through my hair. I clenched my hands at my sides, trying to bottle up my anger.

I tried to talk again in a calmer voice, "You can't honestly expect me to wait here twiddling my fingers while you are off fighting Pitch." It didn't work so well because my voice came out rough and raspy from screaming.

"Yes, we do. Because you HAVE to. This is not a debate. You are staying here, no more questions."

I couldn't believe this! He was treating me like a child. You'd think being alive for a few centuries would give you more of a say, but I guess not.

Bunnymund tried to put his hand on my shoulder to calm me down, but I shrugged it off, saying, "Just leave me alone."

With those words I turned around and ran off in the tundra that was as cold and bitter as me.