Chapter 25: Sticks and Stones

Teaching her children to be gracious during any tense situation is a mother's greatest challenge! Sadly, children learn early that calling each other bad names, or making fun of each other, can be hurtful. That said, the earlier you can teach your children conflict resolution, the better they will be at defusing tense situations.

Ironically, such bullying tactics are learned at home, so don't blame the child! Better to pistol-whip the offending parent. (Yes, that is bullying, too. But demonstrating on someone to whom the child can relate will get your point across most succinctly.)

*****

Jeff's team lost to the Kennesaw Generals. He did his best, considering the circumstances-his mother's paranoia against common viruses.

Jeff shrugs off his disappointment. "Dad, do us all a favor: next time Mom wants to put us in quarantine during the biggest game of my life, lock her in a closet or something, okay?"

If only he knew.

We are halfway home when my cell phone buzzes. It's Ryan. "Good job, Donna."

The words are right, but the tone of his voice has me worried.

"Ryan, what's wrong?"

He pauses before answering, "He escaped. Killed one of the ambulance guards, then jumped out the back-"

In other words, Carl is not out of my life.

And neither is the Quorum.

I'll have to go on the lam with the children.

So, this is my life? Is this truly what I want for my children?

As long as Carl is out there, we'll be on the run.

And as long as Jack is a part of our lives, Carl will kill both of us.

I can't do that to Jack.

I will have to give him up.

If he leaves, it won't be just because of Carl. Jack has chased him too long and too far to be afraid of him.

Jack is not afraid of anything.

The only way he'll leave us is if he thinks I hate him.

I know what I have to say to him, so that he believes it.

Yes, it will kill me to do this, but it's the only way I can save us all.

*****

"Why are you being such a bitch?" asks Phyllis. "You know, he's head over heels in love with you."

"That's nonsense. I don't believe it," I retort.

This, despite the armload of roses he brings me daily, and his constant caresses.

And in spite of the way he looks at me, as if I'm some sort of precious jewel.

"Suit yourself. But remember, missy: You lost him once. You can do it again."

I walk out of the kitchen, furious at her interference.

It wasn't my idea that she drive down to take the kids to her place for the night. It was Jack's. He feels I've grown distant, that we need time to "reconnect."

What he doesn't know is that I plan on short-circuiting his love for me the only way I can:

With Carl.

And I'm doing so, in the one place where no one should stand between us: the bedroom.

If anything, Jack is gentler in bed with me these days than before. His voracious lust has been replaced by an urgent tenderness, a focused care. I steel myself so as not to tremble when his hands skim over my body. When his fingers massage and probe me, I bite my lip to keep from moaning or asking for more.