Chapter Twenty-Three

"What? What do you mean?"

          "I meant exactly what I said, I'm wanted by the police."

          "But you're out here in public. How could you be if you're wanted by the police? They would have caught you by now!" Typical of Arina, she opted to find counter-arguments to what D had said rather than asking him more important questions. Her thoughts were all muddled. She didn't know what to think.

D seemed like such an innocent man, how could the police be in pursuit of him? She couldn’t fathom it. Maybe she was just a bad judge of character. Even so, that still meant D had kept this from her. Why hadn't he told her before? Was he just another liar like she had thought Haden was?

          "The police aren't as sharp as they make themselves out to be," he said, whilst leaning over onto the car. He knew he should have regretted telling Arina because it was a huge burdening secret that could cause serious trouble if anybody else ever found out. But somehow, he didn't regret it. He was glad that it was all out in the open and that he no longer had to keep anything from Arina.

          "Arina, haven't you ever wondered why my name is just D? Do you think my parents gave me that name?" He sounded partly patronising.

          "Well, no, but.. I thought it was just a nickname or something."

          "For somebody who is incredibly curious, you really don´t ask the right questions."

          "What is your name, then?"

          "You can call me D," he smirked, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it.

          "I want to know your real name, though."

          "It's better you don’t- in case the police ever ask you."

Arina just couldn’t believe what she was hearing. If his name was fake, what else was? Did she really know who D was or was he just putting on an act? It was like he was an entirely fake person.

          "But.." Arina said, still arguing with him, hoping it wasn´t true. "What did you do? Why are you wanted?"

She was afraid of the answer. She didn't want to hear anything bad about D that would make her think bad of him. She didn´t want to not trust him anymore.

          "It's complicated," he sighed, hoping Arina wouldn't question him any further about the whys of his situation. He just wanted to leave it.

          "I don't care. Why are you wanted?" She stared at him intently.

D stared back, about to answer.

          "I-I.."

          "There you are, we better get going," Kos came up, interrupting the tense situation to Arina's dismay. She wanted to find out why D was wanted so much, and she wasn't going to give up until she did find out.

          "Sorry, Kos, if you don´t mind, we were in the middle of something. Could you wait a second?" Arina asked in her nicest voice.

          "No, it´s okay," said D. "We were finished anyway."

Arina was angered. How dare D start something he couldn´t finish? Why was he trying to get out of the situation?

Kos looked at both Arina and D, wondering what was going on. She was going to turn back around and leave them to it, but from D's face, she saw he wouldn't be very happy if she did.