The Foretold- Chapter 14 + 15

Chapter Fourteen

I didn’t remember anything past howling last night, but I woke up inside the home cave, feeling the heat of other wolves next to me. I raised my head quickly, trying to get a view of my surroundings. Melody, Aaron, and Selena were around me, Daniel was pressed up against my back. I stood up and he fell a little bit, with nothing to lean on. He raised his head and blinked at me sleepily, and yawned. Up already? his voice asks me. I glare at him and flicked my ear, I didn’t like him inside my head. He stood up and picked his way around the sleeping wolves. I followed him, hoping for some answers. I found him sitting on a log a little ways into the forest. I sat down next to him and fired my first question. “How can you talk in my head without it hurting anymore?”

He grins, as if he was expecting my questions. “You know how I said earlier, about humans not having a big brain capacity?”

I nod, still holding a grudge on that.

            “Well, now that you are a werewolf, you have wolf senses as well as all that other human stuff, so you have a bigger brain capacity now.”

            “So I could talk to you in your mind, if I wanted to.”

            “Yeah, if I let you.” His grin gets wider. “I learned how to do the mind wall thing, so I could ignore you if I wanted.”

            “But you won’t.”

He shrugs.

I make a face at him then ask, “Can you teach me?”

            “What? The mind wall or the talking?”

            “Both,”

            “M’kay. First, the mind wall. Again, all this will be easier with practice, like shifting. Picture your mind and put a wall around it, feel the thoughts and shove them back. “Cool, what about the talking thing?”

            “That’s so much easier. Just think of what you want to say in your mind, then direct it to the person you want to hear it.”

I think really hard and try it. Like this? I asked.

            Perfect.

I grinned at Daniel, proud of myself. I was somewhat adjusting. The bushes behind us rustled and Aaron struggled out of the trees, pushing branches out of the way with his arms, grumbling. “Oh, good. I thought I’d have to smell you out. I'm a lot of things but I’m not a blood hound.”

I stood up and laced my fingers with Daniel's. As we were walking I asked him my last question for now. “Daniel, when we were in that cave and you talked about your parents, did you run away because you were bitten?”

Aaron seemed to sense something in Daniel, so he ran ahead. Daniel sighs before answering. “Yeah, like you, and most of the pack, I didn’t want to be a werewolf. My life was actually pretty good. My father was a scientist in genetics and my mom was a politician. But when I went out into the woods in our backyard one day, and came back a werewolf, well you can guess. My dad wanted to do experiments on me, my mom wanted to put me on the news, etc. But they both thought I was a monster; they never treated me they same. They would be uncomfortable around me, always watching me, like I would attack them. So, one day, I got fed up and left, never looked back.”

            “Whoa, and you were what? Ten? That’s some BIG decisions for a ten-year-old.”

He just shrugged. Then I heard thunder rumble and rain started to fall. But that was when we heard the screaming.