Chapter Seventeen - Champion

Epilogue will be up in the next few days, hope you're glad who wins!

Sydney's POV

An earthquake rocked the arena, knocking me off of my feet. Zach's body was seized by the quakes before a helicopter could retrieve him. Niall groaned on the ground, helpless to what was happening around him. His injuries would make this hell for him; he lay on the ground as it shook him.

The almost full moon flickered in the sky though there were no clouds interfering with it's light to do so. It then disappeared and the pitch black sky suddenly turned to a soft baby blue. The flickering moon disappeared and the sun appeared above our heads. Niall groaned as the sun's light suddenly broke out, shining right in our waiting eyes. I shielded mine yet suddenly the moon was there in the light blue sky. The sky darkened and the sun appeared once more.

What was happening in the gamemaker's room?

I ran to Niall, trying not to trip on the still-quaking ground. I rolled him onto his back, searching for a pulse. My heart quickened as I felt his heart beat in his chest. It was very soft though. His chest rose and sunk with each breath he was able to manage. He was still alive. But for how long?

Niall's eyes opened and looked into my own. They were filled with pain as he tried to breath properly. For some reason I felt protective towards Niall, almost like he was the little brother I never had. I tried to swallow down my fear as I vowed to myself I won't let him die.

The ground continued to quake for unknown reasons and the sky continued to flicker between night and day, along with appearance of the sun and the moon.

Suddenly hidden speakers in the arena announced, 'Tributes, everything is alright. Attacks on the arena won't break us!' The ground stopped shaking and the sky returned back to night, the moon hanging in the still air.

'Sydney?' Niall croaked, breaking me out of my thoughts. I blinked a couple of times and focused on him.

'Yeah?' I asked in return, grabbing his bruised hands in my own. 'What is it?'

'You need to kill me,' he said, tears in his eyes.

'No,' I said. I couldn't be a human if I killed Niall; it would be like killing a puppy. All of this conversation was in small whispers on my half and soft croaks on Niall's; the arena's speakers wouldn't be good enough to pick up this conversation.

'Yes,' he replied. 'Win, get out of here, and make sure this never happens again. Promise me you'll make sure this never happens again.'

'No, Niall, I can't if it means killing you.'

I always thought I would get out of the arena beside Adrian, but not arguing with Niall on who wins or not. Coming into the arena I acted cold, heartless. Since Adrian died, however, I remembered to embrace life as you never know when it might end or change drastically. I became a human again and I never want to become that monster I was ever again.

And not saving Niall will make me that monster again.

Niall squeezed my hands tightlyin his own, smiling. I felt tears in my eyes. 'You're smart. If you win, you can make sure this never happens again. But if I win, I won't be able to stop it. It will keep ruining families, friendships and lovers until ther is no one left. You can change all that if you win.'

'I can't kill you Niall,' I whispered, feeling tears in my eyes. One must have escaped as he held up his shaking hand to wipe it off of my cheek.

'You have to. Promise me you'll do it.' he said. I knew hewas right; I had the brains to free the world of the Fandom Games. He didn't. What was one human life compared to how many others? My brain easily knew what to do, but my heart was battling against it.

If I chose to kill Niall, then the vow I gave myself moments ago will be broken. But if not that meant other lives will be lost. Niall looked up at me with pleading eyes. Something in me cracked while looking at him and the battle was over between my brain and my heart.

'I promise you that I will stop the Fandom Games from ever existing again.' He smiled up at me with tears in his eyes. I released Niall's hands and grabbed my sicke from its makeshift poket and gripped it with both hands, holding it over my head.

'Thank you,' he smiled tearfully.

'I hope that you will find your friends in heaven,' I said and with tears pourng freely down my cheeks, I plunged the sickle into his heart. His face twisted with even more pain and then his eyes glazed over. He was gone. I was the monster again.

No. I'm not the monster again. I'm doing this for everyone, inluding Niall. I wasn't the heartless monster anymore. I sobbed into Niall's chest as trumpets blared from the speakers.

'And the winner of the Second Fandom Games is Sydney Sage!'