Chapter Eleven - The Final Six

Not updating until I get 1,000 reads. Oh, you see that little button? Yeah, the one that says "Vote" near the top right of this story? Go ahead and tap it! You know you want to.

Sydney's POV

I continued to follow Danielle, even though it ws getting darker and darker. It was becoming hard to see. My fingers curled around the sickle in my hand. The sun continued to set, casting the usually icy blue sky and white clouds into pink and orange.

I wish Adrian could see this; him being an artist, he would have loved the colours.

I saw a human climbing up a tree ahead. Well, at least they were attempting too; their feet kept slipping as they couldn't find any footholds. By the shape of their figure, I would say it was a female.

Danielle? It has to be; she and I were the only females left in the arena. I saw a hand reach out from somwhere in the tree and grabbed her hand, helping her up. She started to make better progress.

I creeped quietly behind a tree, then darted behind another one. Getting closer. Only twenty metres away. She was now in the tree, barely in my line of sight. I could see her bushy hair through the leaves however. She was staying close to the trunk by the look of it, placing her feet carefully on branches near the trunk of the tree.

I moved behind another tree; I was now 15 metres from her tree. And then I moved behind another tree; now 12 metres. Lucky I was so skinny; these trees were very tall but not very thick. After moving behind another tree, making me only 10 metres away, I began to hear voices. One had an Irish accent.

Niall's POV

I continued to help Danielle up the tree. There was no time for chatting and she seemed to be in a rush. Did she kill someone herself?

We continued higher and higher into the tree, but we were going slowly, trying to find good footholds. Danielle stopped moving.

'What was that noise?' she asked quietly, searching below. We were at least twenty metres into the tree; let's hope she wasn't scared of heights.

'I didn't hear anything,' I whispered back, looking below. 'Nor can I see anything.' She shushed me and we both listened carefully to see if we could pick up something out of the ordinary. A twig snapped, like it was under pressure by something. Or someone.

We both held our breaths and didn't dare to move a muscle. Did they know we were here?

We continued to stare in the direction of the noise and someone darted to the base of our tree. She barely made a noise, being very skinny. I jumped just as she looked up, sailing twenty metres down and landing on her. The jolt from he landing made my foot and leg burn in pain from the wounds I had sustained earlier. I heard Danielle land a second later.

I could now see the sickle in her hand. She pushed me off her; she was stronger than she looked. It surprised me for a second, but it was all it took; she slashed me with her sickle, across my chest. As I stumbled backwards, she went for Danielle; she hadn't forgotten that there were two of us.

Sydney pounced on Danielle and together they rolled on the cold, snow-covered ground.

Sydney hissed, 'This is for Adrian,' and slashed Danielle's arm with her sickle. It looked like a hard move to manage, seeing they were still rolling together on the ground. Sydney sat on top of Danielle, focusing only on her.

My chance.

I tackled Sydney so she was lying on the ground, me on top of her. My leg and foot starting buring even more. Danielle got up, some of the snow around her red from the blood pouring steadily out of her arm wound. I reached for my knife just as Sydney pushed me off of her. She quickly got to her feet as Danielle started running towards her.

Sydney must have seen her coming, sinking her sickle into Danielle's side. She pulled it out and Danielle began to look even more pale. Danielle jumped on Sydney and Sydney pushed her off.

Danielle went flying over the cliff's edge.

I stabbed Sydney in her am to distract her as I went to help Danielle. I grabbed her hands, which were just holding on to the cliff's edge, and saw more blood coming out of her side.

My arms started to ache with her weight and I knew I couldn't hold her for long. I started to lean over the cliff's edge.

Danielle looked panicked as she exclaimed, 'Save yourself; I'm just oing to die anyway from blood loss,' she looked pointedly at her sde, which was still oozing blood. She was so very pale.

'Are you sure?' I asked. Danielle nodded then gasped.

'Look out!' she shouted. I let her arms go and she fell downwards so quickly. I felt tears in my eyes as I turned and faced Sydney, who had her sickle ready. I moved to my left, then bolted to my right, ignoring the sharp pains in my leg and foot.

Sydney threw her sickle, but it missed. She rushed over and grabbed her sickle but when she looked up, I was out of sight.